1. Health

Your Pap Smear Has Come Back Abnormal...Now What?

By April 28, 2007

Most women naturally assume that their Pap results will come back normal. I know when I had Pap smears prior to them being abnormal, I never even thought about what my results could be. Until one day, I got a call from the doctor, instead of receving the little blue card in them mail stating my Pap was normal. I was informed that the doctor needed to talk to me about my Pap smear. I could feel my heart beat faster and felt dizzy. I wasn't prepared for an abnormal Pap smear!

My doctor scheduled me for a colposcopy. Because I wasn't familiar with the term, I confused it with colonoscopy and wondered why they would need to check my colon if I was have problems with my cervix! A colposcopy is commonly performed after a Pap smear comes back as abnormal.

Along with the colposcopy, I had a cervical biopsy. While the biopsy was mildly uncomfortable, I wish I had done more research about the whole process beforehand! That way I would have been more aware of what was going on and what was going to happen next!

Ladies! If you have had a Pap smear come back abnormal, learn more about abnormal Pap smears, the colposcopy, and cervical biopsy. With knowledge, you will feel more in control of your health care. Knowledge really is power!

Suggested Reading:

Have you had an abnormal Pap smear? Tell us your story! In the comments section below, let other About Cancer readers know your story!

Photo (c) Jorine Kooijman
Comments
October 31, 2006 at 4:38 pm
(1) Penny says:

Back in my twenties, around 16 years or so ago,
I experienced my first “abnormal” pap smear from a rountine annual pelvic exam.
I was shocked and scared to say the least.
The exam stated that I had “Mild Displasia”, which are some “abnormal cells” that, if left untreated, can
eventually turn to cancer.
(There are various stages of this “Displasia” – “MIld” being the beginning stage or level.)
Soon after my exam, the OGBYN performed a
“Colposcopy” where she was able to view my cervix, and saw what look suspiciously like a Human Pappiloma (Genital Wart). After that, she performed a “Conoscopy”, where she removed a cone-shaped
portion of my cervical tissue with the possible Papilloma on it for diagnosis.
Sure enough, it was a Papilloma, and to ensure that it was truely gone, she “froze” a small portion of my cervix where it had been.
All of the procedures were a bit uncomfortable, but really not that bad.
Since that time in my life, all of my PAPs have been normal and healthy.
It is totally possible to have an “Abnormal PAP”
have it treated, and be fine.
But in my opinion, annual PAP tests are a must.
Also, use condoms, as the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is sexually transmitted and very common these days. And, if left untreated, it can develope into Cervial Cancer.
I was lucky to have it caught early.

May 3, 2007 at 6:40 pm
(2) Moni says:

One brief comment on comment #1–not all strains of HPV cause cervical cancer and there is no treatment for the virus itself.

May 3, 2007 at 8:26 pm
(3) Moni says:

My story:

I am 28. I have had ONE normal pap smear in my last 5 (and most of my paps since 18 have been abnormal). I too had to have a colposcopy (which literally means a ‘visual examination of the vagina’) and a cervical biopsy.

After the biospy (normal) I had a normal pap smear. Then, tonight actually, my gynaecologist called to say that my last pap was abnormal.

My advice is: your first question should be how abnormal? Mild? Severe? Next is what does your doctor recommend for the next step?

Ask your doctor anything you want. S/he will have already heard it. If you’re embarrassed to ask a question write it down and hand it to the doctor.

November 1, 2007 at 4:05 am
(4) thailand blog says:

I wrote the small articles about pap smear test in Thailand. We conserve every Thai girls to know the danger of it and realize that pap smear test is required by every girls

September 20, 2009 at 1:04 pm
(5) sharon says:

Over the past 6 years, I have had a series of abnormal pap smears low grade. My hpv has always been negative and 3 colposcopy/biopsys normal ? any ideas ???? In between I have also had several normal pap smears….Dr is considering a leep. My last biopsy was 6 months ago.

October 22, 2009 at 11:57 am
(6) Lori says:

I been having ubnormal pap smear for years, and my doctor, did the freezing of the cervix, the colposcopy and leep, and this is beig going on for almost 10 years, but I did have some normal pap smear in those years after the treatments. last month again my pap smear came back ubnormal, I have mild dysplasia and know after three tratments my doctor is suggesting to do a partial hystorectomy.
I really don’t want to have this surgery. Any suggestions. Very scared and concerned.
Thank you. Lori

October 22, 2009 at 8:15 pm
(7) Merche says:

Today I got my first abnormal pap smear and showed some atypical cells of undetermined significance(ASCUS). however the virus that causes pre-cancer or cancer of the cervix(HPV), was not seen. Therefore they tell me that the findings are not concerning and that not tequire any further evaluation till next year.
I check a lot of sites on my pc and most of them recommend doing another pap smear and in some cases do a colposcopy. Do I need to be concern?

October 23, 2009 at 8:54 am
(8) Dee says:

I have had menstrual issues since before I even started my period, but had never had an abnormal pap smear. Now that I’m 45, for the first time in my life, I had the dreaded phone call to come talk to the Dr.

I was diagnosed with Lupus 4 years ago, of course at this stage they said I had been suffering from it for many years. I also was diagnosed with Sjogrens syndrome, which is a disease that dries up all the mucus membrane areas, such as the vagina, the nose, tear ducts and so forth. When my pap came back abnormal they wanted to do biopsies, my vaginal walls were so tough from the Sjogrens syndrome that they couldn’t even scrape enough skin for the biopsy. I was given a progestron cream to help, but ended up having a mini stroke.

When we are young, we do not think about our bodies as a temple as the Bible says we should, believe me when I say, I do now.

January 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm
(9) sara says:

OMG…I too have lupus sjorgrens and ITP! I had an abnormal test waited two weeks went back to get my iud placed and the doctor couldnt even do it! So…we took another pap I’ll have to wait til next week to get the results but now we scheduled a ultrasound…I have a lot of health problems so…I’m freaking out! It was so painfull! Hoping for the Best!

May 5, 2010 at 2:41 am
(10) Liz says:

I think it’s disgraceful that women are worried so much over this test.
Cervical cancer would affect 1% of women in an unscreened world…yet annual smears will send 95% of you for colposcopy and usually some form of biopsy. The pap is a very unreliable test and this cancer is uncommon – my Dr says it’s rare.
Sadly, some women will be left with continuing problems after the treatment/ biopsy especially after cone biopsies and LEEP – infertility, problems during pregnancy, more c-sections, premature delivery and premature babies. (and psychological problems)

Of course every woman who gets an abnormal smear thinks she’s dying…we’re never told the risk is 1% and many women have a risk lower than that if they’ve used preventative measures to guard against exposure to HPV. (use of condoms, limiting partners, monogamy, deferring sex until we’re 18)
We’re not told that annual smears expose us to the greatest risk for no real benefit.
Finland has the lowest rates of cervical cancer and they send the fewest women for biopsies (30%-55%) – they don’t test before age 30 and then 5 yearly – 5 to 7 tests in total. Less is more with smears.
Over-screening sends you to the day procedure room for biopsies or treatment after a false positive.
Women under 25 don’t benefit at all from screening and are exposed to very high risks from false positives. This issue was thoroughly discussed in the UK fairly recently.

Women don’t know they can get an abnormal pap for hormonal changes, infection, inflammation, trauma (athletic sex and childbirth) and for perfectly normal changes that occur in women under 25 and around/after menopause.
I don’t screen at all – my risk of cervical cancer is near zero and even 5 yearly screening would expose me to a 30%-55% chance of biopsy/treatment after a false positive.
We should also be told that approx 95% of all treatment and biopsies are unnecessary.

It upsets me to hear women so fearful and anxious over this uncommon cancer and all this harmful and unnecessary treatment and biopsies.
If any of you want to read the facts behind this testing, go to Dr Joel Sherman’s patient privacy blog and under women’s privacy issues you’ll find straight facts. Sadly, there are very few sites dedicated to informing and educating women – most seek to scare and misinform women. I’ve read the excessive colposcopy business in the States is worth one billion dollars.
Also, a great article available online is by Dr Richard DeMay, “Should we abandon pap smear testing”…

I’m not anti-screening, but I’m anti-dishonesty – I believe women are entitled to the truth, to consider their risk profile and to screen (if they want to) at an interval and time that protects them from false positives and over-treatment.
Even screened women carry a 0.35% risk of cervical cancer by the way – this test also produces false negatives.
I think American women are the most brainwashed in the world…your doctors have also convinced you healthy asymptomatic women need routine breast and pelvic exams every year.
Researching that subject will surprise you – routine breast exams…there is no evidence they bring down the death rate, but they cause biopsies and some believe they are a risk factor for breast cancer.
Routine pelvic exams – of low/poor clinical value in the absence of symptoms – never recommended at any age by our doctors – also they expose you to risk. (further investigation and even surgery)
Mammograms – there are risks and very limited benefits before age 50…but this is a contentious area and a common cancer.
The Nordic Cochrane Institute have produced an unbiased information sheet called, “The Risks and Benefits of Mammograms” – available at their website.
I’d recommend it to all women.
American women face more biopsies, procedures and hysterectomies than any other women in the world – 600,000 hysterectomies every year – just horrifying!
This doesn’t mean you have less cancer, just more unnecessary and harmful interventions and you turn your lives into a medical experience.
I hope this information is of interest to some of you.

May 5, 2010 at 7:41 am
(11) Lauren says:

I would like to know if Liz has ever faced an abnormal Pap smear? What about the women who HAVE gotten abnormal Pap smears that revealed cancer. There is nothing more devastating at the prospect of having a disease, especially when you are a mother. Pap smears prevent cervical cancer by catching pre-cancer before it develops into cancer. The U.S. may be doing the most Paps, but we have one of the lowest rates of cervical cancer in the world. Hmmm… something to think about. SCREENING TESTS SAVE LIVES AND I AM PROOF OF THAT!

May 27, 2010 at 1:53 am
(12) Ruth says:

I was surprised to read recently that before screening started around 14 women in 100,000 got cervical cancer and now that figure is 6.5 women per 100,000. It’s a rare cancer.
My screening brochure says smears have led to 70% less cervical cancer, which I guess is right, but the numbers are very small.
The thing that worries me – if 6.5 women in every 100,000 get cervical cancer or even 15…well, there are 4.4 million abnormal smears in the States every year.
No screening we’d have 14 worried women per 100,000, with screening we have 4.4 million women not only worried but usually referred for colposcopy, biopsies, LEEP or cryotherapy. The difference in numbers is caused by the inaccuracy of the smear and all the false positives it produces in healthy women.
I find that very worrying and I don’t think these facts have been made clear to women.
I don’t agree with hiding the downsides of screening, men get all the facts, while we seem to get stories that don’t reflect the truth.
It also concerns me the way this screening and the treatments for false positives dominates the lives of many women causing pain, fear, worry and often leaving them injured…
Many women are ending up with a damaged cervix or no cervix after numerous treatments after false positives.
I wonder whether we might be better off waiting for a better test or at least, giving women the facts so they know what they’re dealing with and when they get an abnormal result they’ll know the odds are overwhelmingly that it’s nothing to worry about – another false positive. That way they can make better decisions and even decline radical or aggressive biopsies and treatments that are more likely to harm them, like conizations and LEEP.
As it stands, many women think an abnormal smear is cancer or might end up cancer – in fact, it’s MOST likely to be another example of an unreliable screening test looking for a rare cancer.
The risk of cancer is about 1%, but I’ll bet most women think the risk is higher.
Tell us the truth…that way, screening or no screening, women are better informed of the benefits and risks.

December 6, 2010 at 1:05 am
(13) Liz says:

Lauren, The States doesn’t have the lowest rates of cc in the world, not even close, but you have the most procedures for false positives though – called over-treatment.
Finland has the lowest rates of cervix cancer and they only have a maximum of 7 tests over their entire lives and none before they’re 30 years old.
Less is more with pap smears.
Most so-called pre-cancer is nothing to worry about, the fact is a woman’s lifetime risk of cervix cancer with no screening at all is even less than 1% – around 0.65%. I saw some up-to-date figures recently.
When you consider that almost every woman in the States is referred with an abnormal pap at some stage, it is impossible for those referrals to be about cancer. Almost all of those referrals a poor screening test that produces lots of false positives.
I’m low risk and don’t worry about rare cancer and would certainly never risk my health with an inaccurate test that causes vast over-diagnosis/excess treatment.
Most women who think they were saved by pap tests and biopsies are mistaken, the cancer does not occur that often, it’s rare. I’d urge every woman to get her pathology/cytology and remember more than 80% of high grade lesions never progress, but sadly doctors can’t tell which women will progress and therefore, everyone gets treated. I do wonder whether a test that is very inaccurate and negatively affects many healthy women is in our best interests. The risks are often glossed over as well and the benefits of testing inflated…
I think doctors should tell women the truth.

October 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(14) DC says:

I am 26 and I have only had one normal pap smear. Everytime I go for my annual pap smear they are always abnormal (atypical). The clinician suggested that I have a colposcopy done. During the colposcopy she stopped and said she did not have to finish because everthing looked fine. How could everything look fine if my pap smears keep coming back abnormal? Any comment or suggestions on what I should do?

June 30, 2012 at 11:20 am
(15) sandra says:

Bravo LIZ!!! you are talking bases on strong scienfic tievidenceand I applaud that. There is huge money invested in healthcare in the USA and its one of the biggest mobs in the world. That is the reason why the population is dependent on it.
All based on monetary interest.
Disgusting!!!

August 11, 2012 at 12:43 am
(16) Holly says:

Liz….1 in 8 women will get breast cancer. At 44 years old and a mother of 3, my breast cancer was shown in a mammogram…so far back in the chest wall, that when I would’ve felt the lump, I would be in a stage 4. Nothing else would’ve detected this and have caught it. It was one step from traveling into my lymph nodes and spreading throughout my body.

It scares me that one would even consider the “risks” of a mammogram….a high percentage of women get this…not 1%. I would recommend to any woman to have one….had I waited a year, doc says I wouldn’t be here. You should ask my kids how they feel about that thought.

The “routine” mammogram saved my life (I am three years out) and the risk of mamogram, fortunately, never entered my mind….due to early detection and doctors in Houston above and beyond, my risk for recurrence has dipped under 10%.

This topic, I could write a book on, as my life depended on knowing everything that I needed to know and I had put my faith in medical professionals to get me back to being healthy. Nobody was pulling a fast one or using me.

It’s not pleasant thinking about the days of looking down a barrel of a gun….better to be ahead of the game, than to think it cant happen to you, I am thankful each day that due to a mamogram, I am alive and healthy….. and would never skip one…ever.

Holly

P.S. No family history of breast cancer and never would’ve suspected it…

August 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm
(17) jennifer says:

It has been over 10 years since I had an annul exam because I had no insurance and because I had a very bad experience. I just got insurance at nearly the age of 29 so i decided to go in for a check up less than two weeks ago, I didn’t get the happy post card in the mail, instead i got a phone call at 9 am stating that i needed to come in for a biopsy because of abnormal cells in my pap. My appointment is today and I am so scared, not only can I not afford it, but there is a history of cancer on both sides of my family. I am not expecting good result, so what should I expect and is there any hope?

August 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(18) Melisa Willhite says:

@jennifer, I completely understand. Just got the dreaded phone call myself about an hour ago and have been freaking out ever since! I have no insurance and have no idea how I am going to pay for this if it turns into multiple procedures. Just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone and I am praying for you.

October 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(19) yasmine says:

i had a smear test a june at it came high risk and then i done a colposcopy and conebiobsy and after 3 months i went to make a pap smear again and it came low grade lgsil and my doc told me its nothing u have a bacteria is that true ?

November 19, 2012 at 11:49 pm
(20) kathy says:

hey people i just babrely got a pap smear done and it came abnormal i am really scared i need some advice!!
i havent gone to a gynecologist but my clinc gave me the results and my diagnosis came out to be: epithelial cell abnormality
-high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion encompassing moderate and severe dysplasia im soo worried can some one help me please!!

December 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm
(21) Mandy says:

Got the call saying my pap was abnormal. I’m 32 and have never had an abnormal. I got physically sick. The office called and gave me no info except that I was a “3rd level of 4″ in pap results. She said normal is a 1. That’s all the info they gave me. They set me up for a colposcopy to be done in 2 weeks. This really freaked me out because the date seemed a little far away. Apparently, abnormals are very common. However, that still doesn’t ease the anxiety. Good luck to you all!!

December 15, 2012 at 11:18 am
(22) Vanessa says:

Vanessa says:
December 15, 2012 at 11:20am
Hi. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and 31 years old.. I am a smoker and I have one other child. I had a pap smear done at the begining of my pregnancy. I was just told that they want to do the colposcopy in a few weeks to take a closer look at the LGSIL.The first prenatal visit I was told that they were going to do it after the birth of the baby. Why would it get switched to before the birth now? Could it be worse than what they are telling me? How safe is it to do this procedure with being pregnant and being how far along I am?? What could be the major risk factors in doing this during my pregnancy? Needless to say I am very worried about the procedure and other complications that could possibly go wrong with my baby! Please set my mind at ease a little bit if you could! Dont want anything else to worry me during this pregnancy because I already am worried about a choroid plexus cyst on his little brain. I am a nervous wreck and need some kind of advice of any kind.
Very concerned patient

February 15, 2013 at 12:07 am
(23) Bethany T says:

GEEZ. I HATE DOCTORS… and here is why. Bet you didn’t know that your pap smear includes a DNA test. Yea, I said it. My doctor told me that I had the same DNA as other people who have had abnormal pap smears and cervical cancer. When I asked him what the ratio was? You know, the average number of people who actually end up with it, with that type of DNA… he couldn’t answer the question. DID YOU KNOW THAT EVERYONE SEXUALLY ACTIVE HAS HPV AT LEAST 1x IN THEIR LIFE?! Yes, it IS true. Usually the body expels it and it doesn’t reappear… and if it does, not very often. You can have numerous recurring episodes if you are not very healthy. If you eat PROCESSED foods, drink a lot of SUGARY drinks, and don’t get FRUITS AND VEGETABLES… you have a VERY high chance of having recurring HPV positive and abnormal testing. DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE tell you that you have low atypical squamous cells and that you HAVE to have a coloscopy. THEY ARE LYING! My coloscopy insurance paid COST ME $1200.00 OUT OF POCKET! I have average health insurance. My pap smear was abnormal and positive for HPV. Every year for 10 years prior, they were all normal, no problems. I was not eating healthy and I was not taking care of myself. In 1 month I completely changed my eating habits and started working out and stopped with the sugar and started with fruits and vegetables. My coloscopy results were NORMAL. Nothing wrong whatsoever. THEY CONTRADICTED MY PAP SMEAR! RED FLAG!

February 15, 2013 at 12:09 am
(24) Bethany says:

continued… (it wouldn’t let me leave a long one)… I told my doctor the day that I had my coloscopy that I didn’t want to do it, that it didn’t feel right. You know what he said to me? He said, you are high risk and that if you don’t you could die of cancer. The nurse had told me on the phone that I had low risk. He said that she was wrong. What?! He scared me into having the coloscopy. I was in severe pain following the coloscopy. It was like cramping times ten for me. I had to be put on a pain killer for a few days for the pain. My periods have not been normal. It took 5 weeks for me to get my period. It was spotty and light. I am not sexually active lately with my husband, so I know I am not pregnant. There was a lot of little tissue too, which isn’t normal for my period. Do yourself a favor. If your results come back abnormal positive HPV and your results are compared with a DNA test… wait another 3 months and do another pap smear. It’ll cost you 60% less and if in fact you still have it, then you know for sure there is something wrong. What a joke.

March 12, 2013 at 9:08 am
(25) elaine says:

I have had bad (ASCUS, Cin I, Cin II and Cin III) pap smears for the past 15 years. Everytime I get a colposcopy and even once a cone biopsy it comes back as Metaplasia. I am getting really tired of doctors. The last pap was CIN III and when the doctor called she insisted that I should have a hysterectomy to which I replied that I would have the colposcopy first please. She went on to say that she had sent my pap to the Mayo Clinic and they had concurrred that my pap was CIN III. To make a long story short, I had the Colposcopy and the findings were Metaplasia and other benign findings. After waiting 3 months for the promised lab reports, I called and they were sent to me. Attached to the lab report was the findings of the Mayo Clinic and the report from the local lab which mysteriously had been downgraded to CIN I. While relieved that the biopsy was benign, I am very upset by the fact that the local lab and Mayo Clinic cannot, evidently, read a pap smear. One of the previous posters stated that DNA tests are done to compare the patient to others with Cervical Cancer. My mother did not have a problem, no hysterectomy and lived to be 88. Neither of my grandmothers had hysterectomies either and no cervical cancer so I do not think a DNA test would show me as being at risk. Any ideas as to what to do? I assume refusing all pap tests would be an option as they do not find any problems and cause anxiety which is detrimental to my health.

May 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(26) Alejandra says:

My second pap smear came out positive for HPV. The Dr. Told me everything was ok but that. She just told me to come back in 3- 6 months. Is that normal for her to ask me to come back or is there something else I should do.

May 14, 2013 at 10:33 pm
(27) Glenda says:

Hello i had a Cone Biopsy and A Biopsy id say around 2010 due to pre cancerous cells … well i just went the other day and had a pap done and yes i already knew it would come back positive for HPV….. they are saying its in review…. its been over a week ? Im stressing … what could be taking them so long ….. im over hear thinking the worst possible outcome …. any advice or anything would be great :(

May 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm
(28) Glenda says:

Also a LEEP sorry left that out

June 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm
(29) jen03 says:

Liz (comment #10), you probably won’t see this, but I have a few things to say to you..
You think you’re safe, which you may be, you never know if or when you are going to get cervical cancer. I was 4 years old when my mother DIED BECAUSE OF CERVICAL CANCER; she was only 36. She went without screening (as you suggest), and when she did go to the Dr, she was positive for cancer. She had the procedure done and went on with her life. She started having some pain after that, and called her Dr. The Dr told her it was just scar tissue causing her pain, and left it at that. After calling her Dr for several months, he finally told her to come and be seen. He examined her, and what he told her was that he SHOULD HAVE SEEN HER SOONER! MY MOTHER IS DEAD, and all you are doing is flapping your lips about this, and that, and how we really shouldn’t be tested-much if at all.

June 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm
(30) Stephaniee says:

I was diagnosed with HPV and i was sent to get a biopsy done , i went through with the procedure and the doctor told me something is wrong , he said that two parts of my cervix turned white when the vinegar was applied . He then took the sample of each part. I was wondering is that something to strongly worry about ? What should i expect in my results in two weeks . Im really scared and i dont know what to think . What can the possible outcomes for results be?

July 6, 2013 at 11:38 am
(31) Missy says:

Liz: Thank you so much for posting that. I completely agree with your research that US women are brainwashed, There is proof of it everywhere. I too had a so called abnormal pap test. But I don’t care. I think the same way your research shows, that they are just trying to scare me into going in for more tests, more pain, and so they can make more money. But it is not going to happen. If I am meant to die, so be it, I do not care. Im done with it all. I probably will not have any more pap tests done in the near or far future. I am just going to live my life and not worry about it.

October 5, 2013 at 6:21 pm
(32) Diane says:

Hi Ladies,
I’ve read through the previous posts and I’m hopeful I’m ablle and you’ll all allow my expression and feelings of my horrendous fear of gynecological exams and procedures.
I too have had abnormal results on my pap on and off since I was a teen.
I am now turning 60 soon, the early part of December 2013.
As recent as two years ago, once again my pap was abnormal and showed squamous cells. The problem was they couldn’t see it or find it. Imagine???!!!!
So with more tests, more procedures, full hysterectomy, and laser treatments of the vulva – I thought I was FINALLY free, after all these years of chipping away (yes, chipping away – I said it!) wrong!
My pap, two weeks ago came back showing the squamous cells again. I am so discouraged!
Ladies, I do encourage you to speak with your doctors and ask, do I need further Pap tests. Clearly, I do!
When one of you mentioned, it seemed silly to be fearful of the leap, the biopsies, etc. I almost cried because, I am not afraid to die – I am afraid of pain. And …. yes, they donhurt!
Now, after all these years, you may think I’d be used to it and maybe even accept that shortly, more testing and procedures are in store for me. Well, Ladies, please, let me tell you I am scared all over again! Not afraid of cancer, afraid of operating rooms, doctors, nurses, cutting, burning, yup, pain, chipping away!
My next appointment is early November, just a few weeks away and I just have no idea what’s next!
Thank you for taking the time to read my condensed story and mainly about my fear.
Respectfully,
Diane

October 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(33) Diane says:

Missy,
Thank you for your last post – I feel the same way – my fear of pain, as a result of all the procedures, I too want to be done!
If they can tell me what it is I have, without painful tests, great! I will not continue to allow them to chip away.
I do believe it’s ultimately going to be vulva cancer, so be it!
What do they do for that. Chip, burn, cut and then more squamous cells and then, well, you know, more of the same!
I’m with you Missy!

November 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm
(34) Kim says:

The US has a serious problem with the healthcare system. It is really really sad that most Americans do not understand this.

I am American. I live in Texas.

Unnecessary surgeries and procedures are done all the time in the US so that more profit can be made.

Healthcare being a for profit venture is like having the fire department be a for profit venture. Can you imagine your house being on fire and calling the fire department and them telling you – sorry your house is going to burn down because you cannot afford to pay us. Why do we allow this to happen in healthcare? People are going with out medicine and treatment everyday because they cannot afford it – I’ve seen people get turned away for needed surgeries because they could not pay. I’ve seen people at the pharmacy not able to get their medication because it costs 300.00.

The US is seriously screwed when it comes to healthcare. We allow people to die because they cannot afford treatments. I have lost faith in America because of this. I no longer love America because of this.

I do think that screening is necessary. However, American doctors jump at the chance to make more money – i.e. urge patients to get procedures that are not necessary so they they can make more money.

I had an abmornal pap. Instead of repeating the pap they are wanting to do a colposcopy and I just don’t think that’s necessary yet. I have had abmormal paps before and they usually ask for two abnormal paps before taking more drastic measures.

So now I have to figure out what i’m going to do. I don’t want an unnecessary colposcopy. I want another pap done first.