1. Health

Treating Cervical Dysplasia with LEEP: What You Need to Know

By July 18, 2007

Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure, or LEEP for short, is a common procedure done to treat high grade cervical dyplasia. LEEP procedures are performed after a colposcopy and biopsy indicate abnormal cells on the cervix that may later turn into cervical cancer.

If you have cervical dysplasia or have recently had an abnormal Pap smear, learn more about the LEEP treatment and how it can help you.

Suggested Reading:
  • LEEP: WHat You Need to Know
  • Cervical Dysplasia
  • What Do Abnormal Pap Results Mean?
  • Comments
    August 17, 2007 at 8:09 am
    (1) Debra Slack says:

LEEP is one the most over used precedures in gynecology and is more painful than your doctor will tell you. If you get this done, demand to have it done during the follicular phase of your cycle.

September 14, 2008 at 9:53 am
    (2) michelE says:

I just had LEEP done 3 days ago,and besides feeling very noseous and tired because if the anesthesia,i felt no pain at all after the surgery,now i just have to pray to have good results.

December 25, 2008 at 1:21 am
    (3) Ms. C says:

I agree with the previous poster. LEEP is overused and often for the wrong reasons. My doctor knew I qualified for anything but bullied me into it through scare tactics, after refusing to discuss my options. It was also not properly explained to me, so I didn’t realize electricity heated up a piece of hot metal. As somebody with metal allergies, the results were disastrous. Every time I think about that LEEP, my blood pressure skyrockets. If you put a gun to my head, I would still refuse to have another LEEP.

January 15, 2009 at 11:28 am
    (4) Carrie says:

A LEEP is really not bad at all. After I had mine done, the next day I felt very little pain; more of a dull soreness if anything. The colposcopy is what hurts the most.

February 15, 2009 at 9:44 pm
    (5) everydayjane says:

I just had a Leep Procedure aprox. 2 weeks ago. I have not had any pain or bleeding. I wouldn’t think twice about having it again.

March 5, 2009 at 3:24 pm
    (6) smooth sailing says:

I had the LEEP done yesterday and I feel great no complaints here.. I would have it done again if needed but under 1 circumstance my doctor can never retire she great!!

April 3, 2009 at 3:32 pm
    (7) Jen says:

I had a LEEP done three days ago. Aside from running a low-grade fever starting the afternoon afterwards, I’ve had no pain. The procedure itself was relatively painless – in fact, the only real discomfort I had was from the insertion of the speculum, which my gyno explained was larger than usual b/c they wanted to make sure they didn’t burn anything that didn’t need to be burned! I had a cervical block so I was awake for the entire thing. I barely felt a twinge when they numbed my cervix – honestly I’ve had cramps 100 x’s worse than that! All in all it was not a bad experience and I’m thankful I had it done and it’s now behind me.

A little history – I had three abnormal Paps in the past 9 months. My old gyno did a colposcopy last August, which came back negative. However the Pap taken on the same day came back abnormal as did the next Pap taken 5 months later. I switched to a new dr (old one wanted me to go under local anesthesia for the procedure, which would’ve cost me a fortune on my insurance. New doc only cost $50 and was a 20 minute, in-office procedure) and she said they could do another colposcopy but it may still come back inconclusive. She also said with the LEEP you have two benefits – removal of the abnormal cells AND the biopsy. Again, I’m really glad I did it and no longer have to worry. It’s really not bad :)

March 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm
    (8) Ann says:

The people asserting that the leep is painless should be careful to remember that THEIR leep was painless. They should be grateful for that. Not everyone has such a painless experience.

Mine was quite uncomfortable. I have an unusually shaped cervix so it took longer for the doctor to remove what needed to be removed. The anesthesia kept wearing off. At some point, I just decided to stop asking for more anesthesia, gripped the table with my hands and gritted my teeth. I just wanted it to be over.

I am a week post-op right now. I did not have much cramping–I had more cramping after the colposcopy/biopsy–but it still hurts me to sit up straight because the entrance to my vagina is sore from the speculum. I bled so much during the procedure that my doctor wants me off of any exercise for two to three weeks.

I know there are worse procedures out there, but I really hope that I don’t have to go through this again.

April 7, 2010 at 11:59 am
    (9) KELLY says:

I have had an endometrial biopsy, colposcopy, hysteroscopy, d&c, and leep done in the last couple of months. The recovery for me was more annoying than painful. The endometrial biopsy was pretty crampy but quick. The colpscopy was not painful but left my vagina sore for several days. The other things were done under general because there was so much to be done. The recovery was more annoying than painful. I felt headache and some moderate pain the first day (some of that from anesthesia). I think everyone has a different experience and pain level.
    Just keep as healthy as you can in regard to diet, smoking and exercise—–and follow up as directed.
    That is very important.

May 8, 2010 at 11:24 pm
    (10) Lisa says:

I had a Leep procedure done going on 3 weeks ago. It was very painful and I could barely sit down for about 3 days after because of the insertion of the speculum. I was given a local but not a complete dose because I started to get dizzy and faint. I felt almost everything. I believe in this procedure and I have a wonderful Dr. who I have been seeing for 18 years but it was painful. If I did it again I don’t think I would do just a local and I have a very high pain tolerance. I would look into general anesthesia.

May 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm
    (11) Sonia says:

I had a LEEP procedure done 6 days ago. My Pap test came back abnormal which led to a Colposcopy and biopsy which indicated I have severe dysplasia hence the procedure. I would say the procedure did hurt but nothing I couldnt take. I did read some past comments on a different website of horror stories and psyched myself out. I guess this procedure really depends on your doctor. If done right you should not have to much post-op issues. I have had bleeding which is normal. I am on the fence whether I would do this procedure again if need be. I do know if I didnt get it done I would most likely have cancer in a couple of years so thankful it was caught early (but I did have to fight my way to getting all the right tests done, dr’s do take issues too lightly). Also if you are going to get it done research, research, RESEARCH! Its always good to know whats going to happen to your body.

June 9, 2010 at 10:49 pm
    (12) Anita says:

I had a LEEP performed today and there was only a very little discomfort only due to the hard to get to area. I have had a LEEP performed about 7 years ago or so and now another. Much further progressed than before. Now I wait for the results. I am more nervous more now than before. I am more nervous because it is further along than years before. I thought I was done with it and now it is back after years of normal pap smears. Don’t be ashamed to ask the doctor for a print out of information or what you should be researching on the internet. I asked today simply because it has been years and I needed to refresh my memory as it is different this time. Ask questions and get second opinoions if you must. It is your body after all. Thankfully I have four beautiful children and if a hysterectomy is necessary than I am ok with that.

July 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm
    (13) Rowena says:

I have a negative paps result 4 months ago and it took 3 months before i got my colposcopy test due to a busy schedule ..last June 30 i completed the test and got the result after a week that goes well i could say because my Doctor did a good job but i felt bad when i found out that i have to undergo a LEEP procedure that scares me, i was scheduled for this coming August 10 and im hoping that it will be fine.i read most of the comments about women’s experiences and some are totally scary.God knows how much i and my husband wanted to have a baby soon but it seems like this will affects me.

January 7, 2012 at 7:31 am
    (14) Jeplystar says:

you love this? dvd to dv , for special offer dvd to dv with confident

January 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm
    (15) Shaxysamira says:

buy a dvd to xvid , for special offer , for special offer

February 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm
    (16) R Lady H says:

i just had the LEEP done today. it wasnt as bad as i had anticipated, i think i was just a little more freaked out than anything. i have been crampy all day long and a little nauseous, im hoping tomorrow i feel better!

August 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    (17) April says:

I had a positive pap test and therfoer two weeks later had a colposcopy done which showed modeate dysplasia and had a leep done less than a week ago. The procedure was uncomfortable but nothing I couldn’t handle for myself. Everyones pain level is different. I have had two children and therfore if I need a precedure like this to be done to have a higher chance of continuing to live I am going to do it. For them! Reading the comments on here scared me pretty bad. It is going to be worse if you psych yourself out. just keep a positive mind about it. Good luck to all you ladies out there that have this done and I hope you outcome is as good as mine

August 15, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    (18) andrea says:

I had leep done 13 days ago…..and I most say iv been in pain since,I ended up in AE 9 days after the treatment with serious infection,which as made my white blood cells really high….I most say getting leep done at the time didnt really hurt….but I would never have that done again….