1. Health
Lisa Fayed

Golden Girl Bea Arthur Dies of Cancer

By April 25, 2009

It is never easy for me to blog about someone who has lost their battle with cancer, but today is especially difficult. I am saddened to report that Bea Arthur, star of many sitcoms like Maude and The Golden Girls, has died of cancer. Little details have emerged about the 86 year old's cancer fight, let alone what kind of cancer she had. But, Bea Arthur was a private person, so it is really no surprise that she didn't make her cancer diagnosis public.

Despite being only in my 30's, I have been an avid Golden Girls watcher. I used to watch it as a kid with my grandparents on Saturday nights and have continued to watch the reruns on Lifetime whenver I can catch it. Why would a woman at my age would enjoy a sitcom about the lives of four senior women? Because they made me laugh. I laughed through waiting for biopsy results, while lying in a hospital bed after surgery (very painful after abdominal incisions!), and I laughed even when my health was at its lowest. For 30 minutes, I didn't think about anything and laughed, sometimes so hard I cried - a much needed release.

Bea Arthur's death got me thinking about my own coping mechanisms and how others deal with their cancer. If you have cancer, how do you deal with the daily trials of having a disease? What is your stress reliever? Leave your answers in the "Comments" section below.

Stay Updated: Twitter|Facebook|Newsletter|Forum

Comments
April 25, 2009 at 5:18 pm
(1) Allison says:

My mom has cancer, and sometimes wears a turban on her head, instead of her wig. I look a lot like her as it is, and to make her laugh, I will put on her wig and tell her I’m going to dress like her for Halloween. It lightens the mood, even if only for a second.

April 25, 2009 at 7:36 pm
(2) Adrian says:

I had colorectal cancer where they take all of the rectum out and pull down the large intestine to make a new rectum. Needless to say, it never works quite the same as the old equipment. However, when others ask about my surgery, I tell them “I was given a new tailpipe and muffler” and it makes them laugh, and tells it all without having to go into detail.

April 27, 2009 at 8:30 pm
(3) Barb Cantrell says:

I am a cancer survivor for 2.5 years now. I think a positive attitude and trusting in the Lord almighty is what helps me deal with my diagnosis. It is also helpful to have fellowship with fellow cancer survivors and support each other. Other cancer survivors “get it” and they know what you are dealing with.

April 28, 2009 at 11:16 am
(4) Betty says:

My partner was told 10 years ago July 1 she had cancer and only had 6 months to live !! let me tell you there is no way anyone can take news like that and not cry and say why me.. but let me tell you she never said why me she said why not me.. it happens to a lot of people and she said well its time to fight and fight she did, I am proud to say July 1 she will be cancer free for 10 years and I still have her.. God bless all that don’t still have there love ones

April 29, 2009 at 5:18 am
(5) W says:

live like there is no tomorow

May 3, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(6) Gary says:

I had rectal cancer in the late 90′s. I was given a 50/50 prognosis of beating it. I was also told the chemo and radiation would cause all my hair to fall out the nausea would be unberable and the treatments excruciating. Well, I am still here to report that I’m one of the lucky ones that beat the odds. I decided the battle was in in my mind not my body. My body was going to do whatever it could to beat it anyway so I decided to give it a mental boost. I decided that that at 38 I was not ready to succumb to this devastating disease that also took my mother in the form of brain cancer. I embraced it with love and kindness which it didn’t like at all. The same goes for another terminal illnees that I’ve had for almost 27 years. That one I deceided I’m living with it not dying from it. At 48 I don’t have the words of a wise old sage but the old saying of “mind over matter” definitely comes into play in this battle. If you think you are goung to die of cancer you are setting yourself up to do so. You have to fight it with every fiber of your being and think of all the reasons why it’s not your time to go. You have to grab the bull by the horns and go for the ride of your life. . Not all of us will come out winners but attitude is everything I found out.
Good luck to everyone!

Gary

May 6, 2009 at 7:51 am
(7) Prof.SABAH A.J.HASAN says:

Hello every one, I’m Prof.SABAH A.JAWAD, aprof. in PATHOLOGY,I can treat any type of cancer with AL-HIJAMMA;It is a traditonal muslem’s method,it is a very excellent way for ttt of many incurable diseases(esp.Cansers),I’m ready to learn any one freely this technique to make all people happy

June 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(8) Stevie says:

God Bless You All, The Survivors.
Live Live LIVE!!!