1. Health
Lisa Fayed

Ina Garten Says No To Make-A-Wish Kid

By March 26, 2011

I love the Make-A-Wish organization. There is absolutely nothing more selfless than helping a child with cancer or other terminal disease fulfill their wishes. For one child, the wish was to meet chef Ina Garten, of the Food Network's Barefoot Contessa. Enzo, a six year old with leukemia, apparently would watch the show with his mother and became a huge fan along the way. According to several news reports, Ina Garten told the Make-A-Wish foundation that she was too busy to meet with Enzo and his family due to scheduling restraints. Apparently, she is on a book tour and time is limited. However, this is the second time she has turned down Enzo's request in a year. I read that her publicist said that she cannot accommodate every person's request. How many dying children are choosing to meet Ina Garten as his or her wish? Not many, I suspect.

I truly cannot imagine being a celebrity and turning down a Make-A-Wish Foundation request. Ina Garten should feel honored that a child chose to meet her as his wish, above anything else in the world. I suppose not only is this contessa barefoot, but a little heartless as well.

Enzo has since changed his wish since being let down by Garten. He wants to swim with the dolphins, a wish that the foundation is making come true. Enzo's mother maintains a blog about her son. Visit Angels for Enzo to learn more about this brave young boy and his family.

Comments
March 26, 2011 at 9:14 am
(1) Jim Wagner says:

You are said excuse for a human being Ina. I truly believe
you are a waste of skin, and it aggravates me you are
a heartless lump that I occasionally have to see when flipping
through the channels. I will never buy your products or
watch your show. I hope your career goes down the tubes.

March 26, 2011 at 10:12 am
(2) Linda Brown says:

I agree with the first comment. She WAS my favorite food network, but that is sure in the PAST!!! Anybody that could turn down a little dying boy, has no heart, and only loves herself!!! This ole’ girl in Alabama is NOW THROUGH WITH HER!!! Our decisions in life reveal who they are. God knows everything, even this situation. Her day will come and all I can say when it does, is God be merciful. I’m so very glad the little boy got his real wish.

March 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(3) jojo says:

Yeah, my schedule is going to prevent me from ever watching her shows, buying her books, or supporting any of the sponsors that air during her reruns.
It is really her loss she will not get to meet this little boy. I am sad for her.

March 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm
(4) Crissy says:

I was shocked and just couldn’t believe She would true him down! I LOVED her show but now will never watch it again. I’m sorry Ina but you can ALWAYS find time to help people in need!!!I guess making money is more important than helping a child with cancer. You suck! and I really mean that. Lets hope that when your body fails you that someone has time to spend with you.

March 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm
(5) Tina says:

I agree with all the comments posted ~she is the lowest of low!

Most self centered behavior I have ever heard of and God help her if she every has a family member that is ill and has a special request.

I went right to Food Network webstie and sent them a message I will NEVER watch her show again or the food network until I hear she is cancelled!!

March 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(6) Amy J says:

Ina Garten needs to be fired and her cookbooks blacklisted. As the Foodie Gossip said it, the child had so many wishes to pick from and he picked her over everything Ė even better chefs. http://foodiegossip.blogspot.com/2011/03/child-barefoot-contessa-denies-michael.html

March 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(7) Cheryl says:

Really makes you wonder about her, she cannot be that busy to take a few hours to meet up with Enzo.
She is truly heartless. Good Bye Ina!

March 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm
(8) Joan says:

Maybe it’s because Enzo doesn’t breathe the rarified air of the Hamptons? Always thought she was a little smug but I was wrong. She’s totally self centered and maybe a little narcissistic? How many dying children choose her as a last wish and how does she not see the honor in that? Enzo will probably be the last. Maybe it’s her publicist who got it wrong. I can’t express how disappointed I am in her. I am now sorry for every minute I wasted on watching her. It’ll never happen again. My last wish would be that karma bites her in her Hamptonite ass!

March 27, 2011 at 12:01 am
(9) mq43n says:

I don’t think anybody deserves to be emotionally coerced and blackmailed into granting such a wish. I think the child’s mother is emotionally grandstanding and exploiting her child — why make such a such a big public deal about this? (Please note, according to the mother’s website, the child is not dying but actually is doing well in treatments, which the mom says are scheduled to end this summer).

The Make-A-Wish Foundation itself doesn’t grant every wish — I know of a young mother truly dying of breast cancer (who has since passed away) whose wish to go to Disneyland with her children before she died wasn’t able to be granted by Make-A-Wish (who also make this woman jump through hoops, fill out applications, and wait a long time before being told no).

March 27, 2011 at 2:14 am
(10) CarnivoreChick says:

I am completed disgusted with this pig, Ina’s decision to not meet a dying child. Joan, believe me, it has nothing to do with the air in the Hamptons as I am from there and can assure you..my friends and other residents are equally disgusted with her.
What a self involved, self-centered piece of garbage. I can only come up with her never having a special child in her life and doesnt understand that kind of love. Albeit a poor excuse what else would make sense?
I hope when Jeffrey gets a brain tumor or Lou Gehrigs disease she is met with the same disappointment Enzo is feeling after being rejected by her.
I’ll NEVER watch her show nor will I frequent any stores she endorses or nor purchase any products she plugs. She has hit an all time low and Foodnetwork should surely feel some ramifications for her declining Enzo’s request.
Brooke Johnson is the head of Foodnetwork and I implore you all to write or email her and let her know just how you’re feeling.
Ina is a fat miserable pig that didnt deserve to meet Enzo anyway. He might the right decision to meet dolphins..animals never disappoint like humans do…and the’yre a whole lot better looking than Ina.

March 27, 2011 at 2:59 am
(11) CarnivoreChick says:

Please forgive the multitude of typo’s. It’s 3 a.m. in New York and I am frustrated with Ina. The combination doesn’t make for great typing lol

March 27, 2011 at 5:21 am
(12) M. Geenen says:

I am truly horrified by the responses about Ina garter visiting Enzo.

Since when has the make a wish foundation been changed in the make a demand foundation?

Celebrities turn down make a wish requests all the time. Enzo’s mother had no right to demand Ina Garter come visit her son, or to complain when he did not.

Ina Garter did nothing wrong, Enzo’s mother showed the world that we live in a society of entitled people.

Those that want to boycot Ina Garter or vilify her otherwise are not much better then her.

March 27, 2011 at 7:29 am
(13) Sarah says:

No, Ina does not have a submit to every demand. However, taking one day to cook a meal with an ill child requires a very basic level of human compassion and respect — something she clearly lacks.

I think it shows a great deal about Ina’s character. I won’t be watching her shows any longer because of this. If she can’t take the time to cook a meal for FREE with a sick child, then I don’t have the time to watch her show that makes her millions.

March 27, 2011 at 10:59 am
(14) JR says:

She didn’t have to say yes, but considering the circumstances, how much of an effort would it have been to spend an hour of her time doing this?

I’ve always found her show and persona to be a bit pompous and difficult to watch, but being a Food Network fan for years, I also remember the enthusiasm for various FN stars from my own children at that age. There was a time when the biggest star in my kids’ lives was Duff Goldman and the idea of a pilgrimage to his storefront and buying a cake would have been more popular than a week at Disneyland.

I don’t think that she’s as evil as some people are making her, but her self absorption in this matter isn’t buying her any PR brownie points with the general public. I can think of very few circumstances where my conscience wouldn’t allow me to support the idea of a seriously ill six year old, especially when the degree of effort is minimal.

March 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(15) Disgusted says:

I’m disgusted that you are convicting this woman without a trial.

We aren’t talking about an hour – the child is in Portland, Or, Ms. Garten lives in New York. That’s not an hour.

We don’t know why she was turned down. We only know that the mother decided to share her side of the story with the world. The little boy is ill, has been ill for 3 years, but is not terminally ill. He’s sick with a disease that has a 96% survival rate. He’s never (by his mothers admission) even spent a night in the hospital.

Make a Wish has stated that Ms. Garten has been a friend of Make a Wish, and has done things for them in the past. For some reason this one request was not granted, but we don’t even know if Ms. Garten turned it down, or if it was a PR person.

I’m waiting for the other side of the story to come out before I stone her.

March 27, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(16) InaIsMean says:

I’m shocked that anyone can be that mean and yet… face it, we’ve all had our suspicious about her and her character. She tries to be down to earth, but the snob in her always shows through. Just never realized she was such a mean snob. I will never watch her show or use a recipies of her’s again. She can bet I’ll mean mouth her to everyone I know. See Ina, others can be mean too, only I prefer to be mean to mean people and not innocent dying cancer patients. You suck.

March 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm
(17) JenZ says:

I would have have taken the time to visit the child. She she have too. Anyone with an ounce of compassion would have. No, she’s not obligated, but you really have to question a persons thought process when a request such at this was turned down, not once – but twice. She has time to do a book tour but not visit an ill child whose only request is to meet and cook with her? Maybe if it was a paid appearance she would have found the time.

March 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm
(18) Marin says:

I know Ina and Jeffrey they are lovely people I am sure this was some sort of mistake I wish people would hear both sides of a story really wishing harm to anyone is wrong

March 27, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(19) CynthiaJ. says:

I have read various accounts of this…. really hoping to find some shred of fact that would restore Ina’s reputation in my mind. So far, I have been unsuccessful. Make A Wish does not grant wishes to children who are just “sick”… this child is horribly ill and it could be life threatening. Also – doing things for “charity” is in a totally different category in my opinion. This is a child’s one wish – he could have wished to meet a sports star, a movie star, go to Disney World…. but no – he chose to meet her. What an honor that *should* have been to her. I refuse to believe that she is inundated with requests from sick/dying children. I also refuse to believe that she could not find *one day* to grant his request. I am sure MAW would have flown her to meet him or him to meet her…. that is part of what they do.
This is Sun. night – I hope by Monday Food Network and her P.R. team has a plausible excuse for this but I am not holding my breath…
So disappointed in Ina :(

March 28, 2011 at 12:22 am
(20) Catelyn says:

Well folks can donate to the family if they are so outraged. Or read something that is actually better written:

I know it sounds crazy, but people are allowed to say no and any foundation extorting celebrities is one I would not wish to align myself with. Tacky and trashy. Like this mother. MAW has non disclosure agreements families must adhere to. I hope Ina sues the pants of MAW and this loose lipped mother.

March 28, 2011 at 1:22 am
(21) Patricia Ramirez says:

This just sickens me, what kind of person would be to BUSY to fulfill a sick childs wish. I WAS a fan of INA Garten, i watched her on the food network 3 times a day, bought her cookbooks, cooked her recipes but no longer. I will not continue to support a person who obviously is so self centered she cares about noone but herself.

March 28, 2011 at 7:36 am
(22) Don says:

I wonder how The Barefoot Scrooge is going to respond to this publicly. She can’t stay quiet much longer.

March 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm
(23) Val says:

I agree, that is really pathetic. I will never watch her show again.

March 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm
(24) Bellia Lopqi says:

This disgusts me! You have a little boy who is DYING, but takes the time from his busy schedule to watch you and you can’t put a day of book signing on hold??? What a self-serving, ungiving character you are! You have lost a household of fans due to this and many more to follow. Of all or any of the requests you receive this should be the most important – Ina Garten – SHAME ON YOU!!!

March 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(25) SabrinaFaye says:

You folks need to back off Ina. She is a celebrity and it is her choice to accept or decline this request. From the backhanded way the mother of this child is handling this by broadcasting this information even though she has signed confidentiality contracts with Make a Wish Foundation might suggest that she is an attention seeker. Or worse, she actually may be stalking Ina Garten, in which case Ina is wisely staying away. I can only imagine the media circus this mother would have in place for “Ina’s visit” to see her son. Ina has the grace not to respond to this nonsense.

March 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm
(26) MrsB says:

It does say something about her that at least two of her co-workers on Food Network have stepped up and offered to cook with the boy. Even they see how horrible it is to turn this child down.

As for Ina working with MAW before? I certainly can’t find any record of her having done so.

She is also well known for not taking part in any of Food Network’s various charities.

In fact, the only mention I can find of her doing anything for any charity is Planned Parenthood. Kudos to her for working with them, but it would seem that she should have a spot opened for a 6 year old boy on her “busy” charity schedule.

March 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm
(27) Tom says:

We are happy to make gods and goddesses in many walks of life Be it Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan, and a number of sports stars, Sarah Palin and even Barrack Obama. Then we discover that they have clay feet and are mere mortals. Yet we still watch them, adore them and forgive them. I know I would have difficulty in meeting a child I knew was at the end of their life as it would be an emotionally devistating event. But I might not chose to announce that as my reason for not making the appointment. We demand compassion yet give none. Interesting.

March 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm
(28) Dave Smith says:

Shame on Make a Wish for publicizing that a celebrity failed to indulge them. No charity to try to coerce or to embarass any business, organization, celebrity or individual into supporting their activities.

March 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(29) Shelley says:

I’ve never seen her show. Rarely watch tv. But no matter who you agree with this woman is going to have to take the time to go see this boy on her own if she expects to keep her job. Who cares why she said no! And she’ll have to have her PR come up with some bull story as to why it was all a misunderstanding. I agree with most…who cares why she said no? Who cares if the mother of a very ill child got upset and told her side of the story? If you are in the lime light you don’t turn down a very ill child even if he doesn’t fit everyone’s definition of ill. Catelyn : Only if she’s exraordinarily stupid she’ll sue them…that would just end her career right then and there. It doesn’t matter who was right or who was wrong here. What matters is the story is out and the child is the only thing that matters here. He is innocent, ill and had a wish. Stop the ignorance and go see him. Be humbled that he wanted to meet a cook instead of a ball player or real actor like you should be. Say you’re sorry and buy him a huge “I’m sooo sorry I was sooo stupid gift”! Good grief.

March 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm
(30) Pj says:

While I agree that no one….including celebs..should be coerced into anything. It was a request from a sick child….whether dying or not. We all know Ina is a snob..I agree with Joan on that one. If she couldn’t meet with him…then why didn’t she cook something up and make him a basket of it? I’ve seen her do it for her Hampton friends…she certainly could have afforded to send it overnite post. Also, I’m not sure she has any children of her own…only ever saw her husband, so maybe she doesn’t like kids. Who knows…I haven’t watched her in a year because she is such a snob and frankly I think they’re pretty boring and as for her cooking, I’ve never seen her make anything I can’t…….!

March 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm
(31) DeAnna Rice says:

Your heartless skank! i will make sure all my friend who watch food shows like i do boycott your show from here on out. Recipes weren’t all that anyway…now i know why

March 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm
(32) Erika says:

did anyone ever think that maybe she couldn’t handle it emotionally. i mean it takes a strong gut to be friend someone you know is going to die soon. Or someone who’s greatly ill.

maybe she even knew someone who died of cancer,.. and doesn’t want to be reminded of what that person went through. and the best professional excuse she could make is that shes just busy. which people have been before.

i cant believe you people with your gossip troll and following just one side. its ignorant. i figured adults to be out of there high school teen years of “he said she said”. Get over it. its none of your business why she said no…

she has her reasons so leave her alone.

March 28, 2011 at 10:33 pm
(33) Patriot says:

How busy do you have to be, to refuse to meet with a dying child. One that is coming to you through the Make a Wish Foundation. There is no way I would deny a dying child’s wish to simply meet with me and say hello.

Nothing would make me too busy to meet with that child. As others have said, it’s not like you get a request like that every day.

How honored I would be to have a precious gift like a child want to meet with me more than anything in the world before their light goes out.

Truly a tragedy made worse by the callous disregard of someone who must think far too much of themselves.

March 29, 2011 at 2:47 am
(34) Eur Brough says:

Some celebrities have every minute of their day planned out 4 years in advance (I know one). They have contracts to honor, prior commitments, planes to catch, meetings, etc. Taking even a 30 minute detour can put their whole schedule out of whack for weeks. If a person doesn’t have time, they don’t have time

Make A Wish is supposed to be for dying children, not sick ones.

March 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(35) Lisa M says:

What goes around comes around. God is watching you Ina.

March 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm
(36) Sally says:

Ina you are a poor excuse for a human being to deny a grant for a Make a Wish request You are despicable and heartless in my book. I will never watch her shows again on Food Network. In fact I hope the powers that be realize the poor choice you made and drop your show and that your books take a nose dive in sales. I will never purchase another one of her books! I am so embarressed to admt I have one but will probably choose to just toss it in the trash. It no longer and meaning to me. Because of your heartless choice, I am so delighted that Enzo has made a far better choice…to swin with dolpins instead of spending a boring afternoon with you cooking. You should truly be a ashamed of herself. You don’t care about anyone but yourself!!!

March 30, 2011 at 11:53 am
(37) joann stump says:

I couldn’t believe this story about someone refusing to meet a make-a-wish child. unheard of. you say she has a change of heart. WHAT HEART>it’s to late. this story shouldn’t have happened. you messed up ina i wouln’t have believed it if i didn’t hear it myself. please people don’t judge the other food
network chefs because of one snobbish chef did. they are giving all the time. Maybe ina doesn’t get out to much with the real world.i don’t know to me their couldn’t be a explanation good enough to explain the reason to refuse a dying child. i mean what can i say????????

March 30, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(38) morekare says:

That’s all right, Enzo. From what I can see when I have watched Ina Garten in the past, she’s not that much fun to be with. She is a lonely old woman who doesn’t have much of a personality. Be grateful that she didn’t accept your offer. It’s more fun to be with dolphins than with a money-grubbing old woman named Ina Garten. Have fun swimming with the dolphins.

March 30, 2011 at 12:38 pm
(39) Jack McQuade says:

I’m telling everone I know, and you will be off our viewing list. Say goodby to your rateings on the Food Networks.

March 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(40) celie says:

I think it is unfair to judge Ina when she has not been given the opportunity to defend herself. She should be allowed to have her own reasons. (maybe she has lost someone to cancer recently or had some other hardship which makes her not feel strong enough for such a responsibility.

March 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(41) Julia Connolly says:

INA GARTEN WILL MEET WITH HIM. SEE ARTICLE BELOW AND SOURCE AT END. I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE REAL STORY IS. I WAS A MAKE A WISH VOLUNTEER WHO ASSISTED CHILDREN IN OBTAINING THEIR WISH. I DID NOT SEE ONE PERSON DENY A DYING CHILD’S WISH. IT SEEMS FROM THE ARTICLE THAT PERHAPS SHE WAS NOT PROPERLY INFORMED OF THE NATURE OF HIS CONDITION? WHATEVER THE REAL STORY IS … INA GARTEN DOES NOT STRIKE ME AS A PERSON WHO WOULD DO THIS. PERHAPS IT WAS MISHANDLED BY A STAFF MEMBER? IF TRUE, I WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL OVER HER. GOD BLESS YOU, MY YOUNG MAN, AND MAY I SAY THAT YOUR TENACITY IN NOT GIVING UP IS A TRIBUTE TO HOW YOU HANDLE YOUR ILLNESS. I WILL HOLD YOU IN MY DAILY PRAYERS. BLESSINGS, JULIA

March 28, 2011
After a weekend of silence on reports that she turned down a child’s Make-A-Wish Foundation request — twice — a spokesperson celebrity chef Ina Garten spoke out on the controversy today.

According to the spokesperson: “Ina became aware of Enzo’s story this weekend and will be calling him today. She looks forward to inviting him to spend some time with her at the Food Network studios.”

The spokesperson added that Garten receives “approximately 100 requests a month to support charitable causes.”

Six-year-old Enzo Pereda (whose full name was only recently revealed) suffers from leukemia and likes to watch Garten’s show, “Barefoot Contessa,” while resting.

While Garten was presumably mulling a response to the outrage over the weekend, fellow Food Network stars Beau MacMillan and Michael Symon invited Pereda to cook with them.

But it looks like Pereda wants to stick with his original choice; Pereda’s mother wrote on her blog that Enzo “STILL loves ‘The Contessa.’”

Tags: Entertainment, Food Network

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ina-garten-responds-food-network-make-a-wish-enzo-2011-3#ixzz1I6RS0xLC

March 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm
(42) Trish says:

I was a fan of Inas! Not so much now!

March 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm
(43) Lorie says:

I’ve watched The Barefoot Contessa for awhile now. Ina does not strike me as someone who is mean, selfish or entitled. Personally, I will wait to hear her side of the story before I convict and sentence her. There may be a legitimate reason that she cannot accommodate this request. There are always two sides to every story, and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

March 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(44) Pam says:

MISS Contessa…LOL..I will NEVER watch your show again!!

March 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(45) Doris Gumiela says:

If it weren’t for pepper and most particularly salt, I believe she would not be able to cook. Have long been appalled at the number of times salt is used during a show. If her recipes are used regularly without altering, high blood pressure is in your future. Don’t buy idea that layering salt brings out flavor!! She must have stock in Diamond Crystal and Morton. More pathetic is seeming unwillingness to meet with this child–terminally ill or not.

March 30, 2011 at 6:08 pm
(46) Vginger says:

As hard as it is to read about this beautiful child on his moms blog…it was not necessary for her to write about Ina’s rejection
of her sons request.
This is now growing into some really nasty comments directed against Ina…as seen on this sight for instance and on Huffpost.
As a recovered cancer patient I have found that everything has a reason…and this may just be what is best for the child.
You know, being in contact with the Dolphins has been known to be a very healing experience…on many levels.
When one is in the presence of someone like this child…only love should be expressed, especially to those who cannot or willnot open their hearts to othersl..and I am not saying Ina willnot perhaps she cannot.
Anyhow, I do believe that this was not something that should have been shared.
God Bless Enzo his Mom and the Make a Wish people…only love people…in the end thats what its all about. Peace. V.

March 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm
(47) Amy says:

I find it amazing that after receiving bad publicity all of sudden she has time to meet with the child? Really?

What goes around, comes around….sooner or later….tenfold. I would not want to be in her shoes.

March 30, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(48) Peter says:

Swimming with our dolphin friends is a more worth well thing
to do anyway.
Go for it.

March 30, 2011 at 8:44 pm
(49) Sherri says:

Oh how quick we are to judge…not a single person reading this knows anything about the personal lives of ALL people involved. I am not defending one side to the other it is just sad that we are so quick to throw stones and not even be half informed.

March 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm
(50) Nancy Leoni says:

What kind of person would say “NO” to such a pure request from this innocent child who has already dealt with more disappointment than anyone should ever have to! How flattered she should have been to be this important to little Enzo. She certainly does NOT deserve any attention or admiration from this child. I will make sure to forever bypass her television show and her books and I will also tell everyone I know and ask them to do the same.
God Bless you Enzo.

March 31, 2011 at 9:46 am
(51) Richard says:

INA, Hope your GOD can for give for treating Make -A-Wish Children like you have, sorry for your soul.The Public will and most dismiss you as a fraud in a living body.

March 31, 2011 at 10:31 am
(52) Celeste Goff says:

Boo to Ina Garten!

March 31, 2011 at 10:53 am
(53) Truth says:

Apparently having a son with cancer hasn’t taught the mother the power of positive thinking….and she has gone to sniping at someone for not giving her son what he wants…and taking enjoyment in the hate she has caused for that person. Wow, what a lovely sentiment, Mama Pereda.

You have a son with cancer, and you think this entitles you to whatever you want from whomever you want? That’s not how it works. You have learned nothing. If karma is waiting for anyone…it’s you.

March 31, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(54) Dawn says:

This is extortion, plain and simple. “If you don’t fulfill my wishes, I’ll destroy the reputation and career you’ve spent half your life building.” I understand what parents of very ill children go through, we’ve experienced it in my extended family, as many of us have. Little Enzo is being taught by this example, that from now own if he wants something, it’s okay to destroy someone else to get it. Where did this entitlement mentality come from? In the past family, friends, and the local community rallied around families going through horrible circumstances. People were too proud to even ask for help. This really disgusts me.

March 31, 2011 at 11:45 pm
(55) Kats mom6165 says:

I think this selfish &down right ignorant individual should “try putting the shoe on the other foot” she should be thankful that she does not have to entail what this child has to go through. My husband has cancer & I see &often feel what he goes through on a daily/continous basis. Why doesn’t someone get the word out what a low scum Ina Garten is maybe if enough people boycot her items, programs etc She will get the hint people With or without money are all the same. Denying a child is beyond the bottom of the barrel.

April 1, 2011 at 1:42 am
(56) LJR says:

I am really saddened by all the comments made about Ina.
I have watched her show for years..and have learned a lot about her. She does a lot of work, from what I have seen for the make a wish foundation, and a lot of it is expenses out of her own pocket. She isnt a multimillionaire…its obvious by the modest home she lives in, she does all her work from home, that is why she had the studio built up in her home…and she is a lovely woman from what I can see , she would be fun to have a brunch with. People get so caught up in these shows, and think that the public owns these people. I was an entertainer for a short time…and I know how people expect you to be on display and performing all the time. It can get demanding for yourself and for your family. You do not know the dynamics of inas family or what she goes through. It might be pretty hard for her to travel…youjust dont know. Quit being so judgemental. She has cookbooks, and from what I can see her friend or husband does most of the photography and puts them together himself…Maybe she is just trying to do the best she can with what she has…quit the back biting…Its a tv show…she is a person…a human with human frailties…She isnt God…She cant be everything to everyone. I for one intend to keep on watching her.I enjoy the show

April 3, 2011 at 10:02 am
(57) rich08731 says:

I thought Ina came from nothing and would remember her roots. Apparently not. I found her show very well done and my wife & family liked her and were going to buy her book. Not now. I can’t believe this simple request from a innocent dying child was turned down. Heartless. True colors can be disappointing.

April 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(58) Jack Marshall says:

The outrage against Ina Garten is a product of nasty class prejudice and a lack of quality thought. The fact that you might be willing to contribute your time and emotion to a child you don’t know doesn’t mean she had to, or that she has an ethical obligation to do what the mother, or you, want her to do. It is no different than if Larry Cramercame to her door and demanded a donation to AIDS research, then went on the web to condemn her as a heartless bitch for saying “no.” Illness does not confer the right to insist on charity.

Enzo’s mother is a compassion bully. It would be great if the Contessa decided she wanted to please Enzo, but she has absolutely no obligation to do so, and the mother’s successful efforts to harm Ina’s reputation for having her own priorities were despicable, if understandable.
And when another, and another, and another sick child shows up to insist on Ina’s attentions, would she be equally wrong to finally say, “enough—I’ll chose my own charities from now on, thanks”? Surely whichever child is the sequence who was rejected would alos have a vengeful mother.

The commenters here aren’t thinking, just emoting, and condemning Garten when she, not Enzo, was the victim.

April 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm
(59) tr says:

INA is a monster, go down the toilet. horrible soul, I hope when your time arrives you’ll be ALONE.!!!!
just justice. just karma

April 3, 2011 at 11:34 pm
(60) Connie says:

If any media outfit needed to fire an employee, this is that occasion. One would wonder how she thought her lack of compassion would be perceived by her audience. She’s not only insensitive, she’s also a dunce.

April 4, 2011 at 12:11 am
(61) TR says:

she is a disgrace, a monster

April 4, 2011 at 12:28 am
(62) Doris says:

@ DAVE SMITH; SHAME ON YOU! NOT TO maw.
STOP YOUR IGNORANCE! INA IS HEARTLESS,BAD SOUL AND YOU THINK LIKE HER, SO YOU ARE THE SAME TRASH!

April 4, 2011 at 12:32 am
(63) Doris says:

@SABRINAFAYE;

INA GARTEN IS NOT A CELEBRITY, SHE IS A SIMPLE COOKAND BY THE WAY BAD COOK

April 5, 2011 at 11:26 am
(64) Kate says:

I was horrified at this story. How can some one, with SO MUCH, refuse a child suffering with cancer his wish of meeting her. With all the people in the world. He picks her over athletes and movie stars and the president? She should be ashamed of herself. But, since I’m now convinced she doesn’t have a heart, it’s probably water off a duck’s back to her.

With all the outrage so many people seem to have with the story, and threats of boycotting her show, she should have plenty of free time on her hands soon.

April 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm
(65) Toni says:

How do you know it wasn’t all her publicists’ doing? Ina could have never gotten the request. Just because the people who work for Ina turned down the child’s request, does not mean that Ina did. We will never know. You should give people the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions.

April 13, 2011 at 10:36 am
(66) CeeJay says:

I think all the haters are being just alittle too harsh and I think you should get all the facts before leaving such horrible posts.

The child is not terminal, and I think Ina is right when she explained that she cannot possibly grant every request that comes her way.

Let me ask you all this…how often have you “not had the time” to simply pick up the phone and call a friend, or your own mother? And you all expect this woman to just drop everything…?

Yes, its dissappointing, but I think its bad judgement on the mother’s part to make such a specticle and for everyone to judge someone that you don’t even know and say such mean things.

I love Ina’s show and her cooking style and have never been displeased by her recipes. I am still a huge fan and am going to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

April 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(67) Michele says:

Ina Garten is a big fat load. Anyone who defends her is just as cold and heartless and she is. She has all the charm of a hot bucket of hamster vomit. She should be taken off the air!

April 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(68) MAMA says:

There is very little Ina can do to make this go away.
Those of you that have written, “well, he’s not terminal” “don’t judge her because she is a busy woman” etc,etc you know who you are. You are her fru
fru neighbors in the Hamptons putting on airs and showing the rest of us “how it is done”. I’ll tell you something right now, you people defending her actions are in the same category as she is in…and it disgusts the rest of us. If only we were asked to do something so meaningful in our life as to make the wish of a very ill child come true…….and you defend her by attacking the child’s mother?????
Money and position can buy alot of things in this world, and it can make all kinds of excuses for bad behavior and selfishness, but the expression: “What goes around comes around” is very true.
Nobody understands a big ol’ grown up cow of a woman refusing a child!!!! NOBODY!!!! This is not hate mail, this is telling it like it is! Most of us don’t live priviledged lives, and work just as hard as she does, but we have a conscience……..which obviously she does not!!!! Color this Food Network fan gone!

April 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm
(69) Thetruth says:

to anyone saying we don’t have a right to judge Ina let me remind you that she is famous and rich BECASE of the fact that she has fans. We have the right to like someone and let them rise to fame, just like we have the right to find out about this inccident and chose NOT to be a fan anymore. She does not deserve fame, simply because we the “fans” now resent her. anyone that is defending this pile of trash, is doing so because they see themselves as her, the lowest of human trash possible. AND FOR THE JACKASS TYPING IN CAPS FUNNY HOW PEOPLE WILL CALL SOMEONE STUPID WHILE TALKING NON SENSE. darwinism lmao MORON

July 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm
(70) CC says:

I think everyone is wrong – Ina is wrong and so is the Make a Wish foundation and so is the little boy’s mother.
There are always two sides to every story and then there is the truth.
Who knows why she didn’t want to cook with this little boy dying of a terminal illness. Who wouldn’t want to make a dying child smile. I sure would not choose to upset one.
His mother should have shown a little more grace and told the boy that the world does not revolve around each of us it revolves around all of us. She added fuel to the blaze of fire when she started demanding something that just wasn’t coming her way.
The Make a Wish foundation is going to upset a lot of people if they are going to make a media circus of every turned down request. We don’t get everything but we get what we need. Maybe Enzo was suppose to swim with the dolphins – besides they are so much more fun and loving than the lady on the cooking show. Nature gives back so much more than any human possibility ever could. Wishing Enzo the very best.

July 8, 2011 at 11:13 pm
(71) Mark says:

All you knee jerk, negative posters need to get a clue. Make-a-wish “whishes” are rejected by hundreds of celebrities. Probably you favorite celeb has turn someone down.

Can you imagine the amount of request there are?

Think about it.

August 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(72) Lisa says:

How could a basicly NO NAMER “celeb” say no to a little dying child. Sometimes you have to give back! Good thing Karma will bite her in the butt! I hope her book sales fall flat! She’s luck the kid knew her name…. I sure as hell didn’t!!

January 19, 2012 at 8:25 am
(73) Just a Joke says:

So what if the child isn’t “terminal”, it’s still a child with cancer asking to cook with his favorite FN celebrity!! There really is no excuse for this from Ina, I, too and shocked and saddened by her actions. I was also a loyal fan, but have since changed my mind. This is just a terrible situation, which wasn’t handled correctly.

June 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm
(74) Verona Kinkead says:

I love it when people come together and share views.
Great website, stick with it!

July 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm
(75) debl says:

God knew what he was doing when she was not given children.r

August 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(76) TERRY says:

I AM SO HAPPY SHE NEVER HAD KIDS. SHE IS A SNOB, SHE IS SELFISH, SHE WON’T EVEN ALLOW HER HUSBAND TO HAVE A BOAT. WHO HAS THE MONEY THERE ANYWAY? NO WONDER HE STAYS OUT SO MUCH! ! ! SHE PROBABLY HATES CHILDREN . BUT YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND!!!!!! AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO SIT BACK AND WATCH!

August 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm
(77) TERRY says:

She is evil, she is a snob, she is selfish and I can think of other names that are not allowed in mixed company. There is no excuse for this woman’s behavior but I am sure that GOD is taking notes and he has a wonderful memory. Let’s all sit back and watch !!!!!

September 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm
(78) Melissa says:

Ina always seemed a little snobby.

November 12, 2012 at 10:41 am
(79) Laura Johnson says:

You are a poor excuse for a human being. This child adores you! You are a piece of s**t, and I am sorry that you will continue to make money off the very people that watch you.

December 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(80) Arleen B says:

Pretty sad. Always was a fan of Ina but this says it all. Not anymore.

AB

January 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(81) Mom to an angel says:

Your selfish actions disgust me Ina! I used to watch you every day but alas I cannot fit you into my schedule any longer. You are a selfish money hungry person who has no regard for anyone but herself. God bless you little Enzo and I am glad you enjoyed the dolphins.

January 26, 2013 at 11:43 am
(82) Foodieinthe fort. says:

I read this while watching her show this morning. OMG. I am so disillusioned. My mother and I love her. My mom has started a collection of her cookbooks for me…which I now feel like burning, not donating. SHE should be honored to meet this child, not the reverse! Has she had any comment since her initial cold hearted, selfish response?

February 7, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(83) Kathy says:

Not being a mother herself and one not wanting children in her life makes me wonder if she could possible understand that kind of deep love. To me there is no greater love than a parent to a child. How could she possible understand that kind of love mother to child or father to child. It would then be easy to turn her back on a dying child. Yet, it makes me wonder, if this child was Jewish would the outcome be different? Ina you come across our tv screens as someone I would love to have for a neighbor, it saddens my heart that you couldn’t find time for this young boy. If Jeffrey had a dying wish wouldn’t you want to make his dying wish come true? To what lengths would you go to make him see his dying wish……

March 1, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(84) paul chastain says:

Ina, you are a lousy excuse for human being. I know that this is old news, but having just found out about this, and knowing that you hosted a party for Planned Parenthood, it only stands to reason that you would screw over a little dying boy. You not only suck, you REALLY SUCK!!

March 9, 2013 at 12:52 am
(85) Jeannie says:

Barefoot Contessa started me watching cooking shows. I thought Ina was a beautiful person; but reading this has changed my mind. I realize she is probably very busy. BUT how long does this child have to live. Seems even a SCROOGE could find some time for a dying child; especially since he had asked twice. Shame on you Ina.

April 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm
(86) mike says:

what a worthless fat turd she is, I will never watch her or the food network again!

May 14, 2013 at 9:06 am
(87) Getoffothersbacks says:

Wow Ina doesn’t meet the kid she gets abuse then if she does its for selfish reason’s because of bad press. She can’t win with you people! You take your busy lives and then try and do 100 charitable things a month and see how far you get. I bet most the people on this blog and others think that donating a few dollars a month make you martyrs to comment on others and how or what they do to support charities. I’m sure Ina and the people that matter in Ina’s life know exactly how much she does give and as any of us won’t know exactly what happened then have absolutely no right to judge, post awful comments and wish bad things happen to her. Most of you need to take a look at yourselves and instead of being horrible to people get off ur butts and go donate your time to a charity rather than sitting at your laptop commenting on others when you have no clue what your talking about! I know this was a while ago but I’m sick of reading articles and then seeing other members of the human race bitch and insult others. I mean how charitable is that!

July 4, 2013 at 3:19 pm
(88) jordan retro 13 says:

Tension usually has one thing to do with it, but the origins with the disorder are quite diversified. The results of bruxism are seldom anyplace close to as poor as for the duration of sleep when the body’s protective mechanisms are turned off. I originally began training under Colin at CrossFit Bishop as a way to increase my strength, power, speed, and agility in order to be stronger and faster while climbing and dashing around in the high mountains. I stack and lift and push and slide and roll and pull things all over the place, everyday. jordan retro 13 http://www.google.sc/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=run2013.org/ceshi15.html

July 9, 2013 at 7:55 am
(89) jordan 13 says:

Yet, however simple the process may be, you see that you and your son will feel like real scientists as if you accomplished something that very few people actually do, which, in a way, is kind of true. What I love best about rocketry is the sense that anything is possible in this world when you build something that leaves the ground in such a dramatic and passionate way. jordan 13 http://www.google.com.gi/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=run2013.org/ceshi11.html

July 12, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(90) Ina Loather says:

Ina, you are nothing more than I’ve ever given you credit for: a fat, rich, East Hampton Jew who massaged her way to the top. God only knows what else you did on your way up. Your recipes are trash, your charitable efforts are pre-packaged, and it wasn’t until you finally got the burner on YOUR a$$ that you afforded this poor dying kid the “opportunity” to come visit you. You’re disgusting, always have been and have used your Jewish charm (ha, an oxymoron) to make a buck. Now here’s hoping you rot in He!! you useless piece of shiat.

October 14, 2013 at 6:09 pm
(91) Getoffothersbacks says:

Wow Ina doesnít meet the kid she gets abuse then if she does its for selfish reasonís because of bad press. She canít win with you people! You take your busy lives and then try and do 100 charitable things a month and see how far you get. I bet most the people on this blog and others think that donating a few dollars a month make you martyrs to comment on others and how or what they do to support charities. Iím sure Ina and the people that matter in Inaís life know exactly how much she does give and as any of us wonít know exactly what happened then have absolutely no right to judge, post awful comments and wish bad things happen to her. Most of you need to take a look at yourselves and instead of being horrible to people get off ur butts and go donate your time to a charity rather than sitting at your laptop commenting on others when you have no clue what your talking about! I know this was a while ago but Iím sick of reading articles and then seeing other members of the human race bitch and insult others. I mean how charitable is that!

January 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm
(92) Susan Christy says:

I understand that people are upset over the inability of Ina meeting Enzo. Yes she has a good career and beautiful house, maybe even be privileged, but that isn’t the issue. She is a very busy woman and maybe she is being truthful about her schedule! Why talk about her show and life as though she was an ogre! We don’t always get what we want and while my heart goes out to Enzo and his family we can’t condemn Ina for not being able to give him his wish. By making this such an issue and letting Enzo know that she couldn’t cook with him is worse for his morale than anything else. Make a wish foundation should have kept this quiet until she could meet him or just gave him his back up wish to swim with the dolphins. It sounds more like you people are affected more by this than Enzo as well as a little jealous of her life style. Stop focusing on your own feelings and put Enzo first! Isn’t he the one that matters the most? He’s probably over the dis appointment already. I have also, on another note, seen some of her charity shows and she does meet with children, especially those with special needs! Enzo, keep smiling and God Bless you and I would love to swim with dolphins with you!

January 17, 2014 at 3:20 am
(93) marcia says:

I think you folks are a little to quick to judge. It could have been her publicist or manager calling all the shots. This is how bad rumors get started. There is always two sides to every story you guys get real.