1. Health
Lisa Fayed

"Help! I Have Blood In My Stool!"

By April 4, 2011

I receive a lot of worrisome emails over blood in the stools. People are often surprised when I tell them that it can be common and more often than not, it is unrelated to cancer. Nevertheless, finding blood in your stools can be a scary experience. It is also one that should not be ignored or unreported to your doctor. Blood in Stool: What Are The Causes

I think a lot of the reasoning behind people not reporting blood in their stool to the doctor is because of embarrassment and fear. For some, talking about anything related to the rectum, anus, or gastrointestinal system is a taboo subject and embarrassing to talk about, even with a doctor. Others fear the possible diagnostic tests or what the outcome may be.

Have you experienced blood in your stool? What did you do to relieve any anxiety about seeing your doctor? Share your advice in the 'Comments' section below.

Comments
June 7, 2011 at 9:14 am
(1) andrew says:

I’m 17 years old. its our summer break and i only stay at home. we barely do exercise. then, when i pooped, i noticed that there is no feces in it. only blood. bright red in particular. it is enough to fill the water in the bowl with blood. about half a glass or less. what could it possibly be?? please reply. :( i am kinda nervous.

July 22, 2011 at 4:09 am
(2) jaqueline says:

it can be hemorrhoids…hemorrhoids can be internal or external..heavy drinkers usually experience blood during pooping…when the blood is bright red it can be somewhere in your anus or rectum, maybe some tissues was damaged during your pooping, but if it is dark red..it can lead to more serious problem and you need to see a doctor right away. blood with dark red or maroon color to black may indicate of wounds inside the wall of your colon..but the best is you must see a doctor. hope it helps! =)

July 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(3) Melissa says:

I’m 14 years old and I have bright red blood coming from stools for the past 2 weeks or so , I’ve gone to my family doctor and she gave me some pills but I see no change in the 4 days I’ve taken it. It’s worrying me beause they told me I have inflammation in my stomach and it’s nothing to worry about, but I’ve had diaherria and always see bright red blood on my tissue paper and sometimes in the toilet. I ate bad chicken and that’s what said to have caused this problem but nothin is making a differance and it’s starting to worry me, will this heal soon? My mom is making me eat rice all day because it has tons of fibre and drink loads of water THATS IT AND IM STARVINNNNG ! Please helppp

October 24, 2011 at 3:09 am
(4) Kate says:

Hi , I’m a 14 year old female and I have been noticing blood in my stools for a while now. I get constipation , boosting, diarrhea , bad gas , and I feel sick so often , it is so hard for me to go out with friends, I’ve had these symptoms for the past 2 years , and I’m really nervous , please help , I don’t no what to do.

July 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(5) Dylan says:

Im 14 and recently found blood in my stool. Its kind of a dark color, but i felt no pain while going to the bathroom. Ive had only slight abdominal pain, nothing seriously painful or agonizing, just slight discomfort. I dont want to freak out or anything, but i would really like to know what this is. Thanks!

August 17, 2012 at 11:11 pm
(6) JAson says:

It sounds like most of the comments are probably referring to anal fissures which is why blood is seen on the toilet paper and only sometimes in the stool. Also if you are not feeling fatigued or faint and see a lot of red in the stool it is most likely due to something that you have eaten or drank.

October 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(7) Joseph says:

Im a 15 yr old male and Today I noticed bright red blood in my stool. And I have no idea why but I’m really scared to get a finger put my rectum to get it checked. I told my mom and she said it prob internal hemorids. She told me to keep an eye on it and if it don’t go away in a couple of days to tell her and we’ll go to doctor. Thanks for advice.

October 25, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(8) Erin says:

So im 14 and ive noticed bright red blood on and off in my stool for about 3 or 4 mths. I have been having trouble with my body digesting acid to. Should i go see my family phycisian ?? Help im scared?!!

January 1, 2013 at 4:24 am
(9) Sky says:

I’m 17 and I noticed after I went to the bathroom that the toliet paper had blood on it . So I looked back into the bowl and along with the fecus, was bright red blood. I have been getting headaches and I feel a slight discomfort in my stomache area. What should I do?!?! Please help!!!

January 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(10) Abigail says:

Hi I am 11 and for the past few weeks I have been experiencing blood on tissue after having a poo it’s bright red before this started happening I felt dizzy/faint and I had headaches but then it went away its only now come back I felt slightly sick I went to the bathroom today and I had a poo but it was strange because the poo was little and I could here something squirting out I looked in the toilet and there was loads of bright red blood after I showed my mum she said its nothing to worry about and blood started happening 2 days after my cold was cleared after I went to the toilet today and I saw alot of blood like I told u I experienced tummy pains and sickness please help I am really scared unless I am having my period through my ass but I doubt it haven’t even started yet but anyrate it doesn’t help that I am a hypochondriact and I have panic attacks but I am very scared

January 23, 2013 at 8:10 am
(11) Jess says:

I’m 15 years old and I have been having blood in my stool. It’s started out just on the toilet paper but now the bowl has blood in it in a bright red colour . I’m really worried . Please help

January 23, 2013 at 10:47 am
(12) hana says:

hi am 34 and this days i started seen blood in my poop and am kind of worried

March 22, 2013 at 12:37 am
(13) April says:

I’m 13 turning 14 in a month and just yesterday I was experiencing severe stomach pains and I got pretty bad diarrhea and when I wiped there was bright red blood. I started freaking out, I havnt told anyone and I’m trying to tell myself it’s nothing dont worry. I had my period the day after ‘today’ so I though that maybe that was why that happened and that I’m perfectly fine. I need to use the bathroom (number 2) but I’m too scared that I will find blood and I don’t want to. And I’m too scared to tell my parents because I don’t know what will happen.. Please someone give me some advice :(

April 17, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(14) Casey says:

Me too I’m 11 and I had a poo with blood in but while and after I felt a sicking pain in my tummy and pains in my but please help me i am so worried about my body also I have tummy pains after I eat anything!could it be something i ate?

May 4, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(15) Rachel says:

I am 14 in a few days and for the past 2 weeks i have been getting dark red blood in my poo and on the tissue paper. I have extremly sore abdominal pains . I havent told anyone and am really worried.HELP !!!!!
( i am a female and it is not my period )

May 27, 2013 at 1:31 am
(16) Jamie says:

You should always go to a dr & get yourself checked when you have blood in your bowel movements. Yes, the dr will have to check inside your rectum, but isn’t it better to get checked & get something done about it, than to not be checked & have it possibly turn into something much worse? Never hide something like this from your parents, they are there to help you.

June 13, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(17) domenic says:

Im 47 and ever since I was a teenager I have been experiencing little amounts of bright red blood coming out after pushing out the poop. HERES a major point about this, its getting worse as I get older and lasting longer. In my teens it would happen once or twice a year for only 1 or 2 days, in my 20′s and 30′s slightly more often lasting more days, now at 47 it seems to happen every 4 months and its been happening now for 14 days but it has almost completely stopped perhaps because the hemorroid(if thats what it is) has completely healed. It will probably start up again in about 4 months lasting for another 2 weeks. Im afraid when im in my late 50′s it will last for a whole month straight. As soon as I feel a very faint sharp pinch(it doesnt hurt) in there is when the slight bleeding starts to occur especially when I push hard, but usually does not occur at the beginning of the bowel movement(except when it first starts to happen on the first day), then after usually it starts to occur after I push the second piece of poop and then at that point I stop as the little amount of blood dribbles out into the water. I do have alot of bloating in the stomach and can only go once every day and a half on average, sometimes every 2 days. Even when I have fibre and alot of water the problem still remains. I can’t go everyday because the bleeding will get worse.

June 13, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(18) domenic says:

Im 47 and ever since I was a teenager I have been experiencing little amounts of bright red blood coming out after pushing out the poop. HERES a major point about this, its getting worse as I get older and lasting longer. In my teens it would happen once or twice a year for only 1 or 2 days, in my 20′s and 30′s slightly more often lasting more days, now at 47 it seems to happen every 4 months and its been happening now for 14 days but it has almost completely stopped perhaps because the hemorroid(if thats what it is) has completely healed. It will probably start up again in about 4 months lasting for another 2 weeks. Im afraid when im in my late 50′s it will last for a whole month straight. As soon as I feel a very faint sharp pinch(it doesnt hurt) in there is when the slight bleeding starts to occur especially when I push hard, but usually does not occur at the beginning of the bowel movement(except when it first starts to happen on the first day), then after usually it starts to occur after I push the second piece of poop and then at that point I stop as the little amount of blood dribbles out into the water. I do have alot of bloating in the stomach and can only go once every day and a half on average, sometimes every 2 days. Even when I have fibre and alot of water the problem still remains. I can’t go everyday because it feels too hard to go out and the bleeding will get worse or start up again.

July 7, 2013 at 5:27 pm
(19) Amy says:

I’m 18 and every time I poop it hurts coming out and then lately I notice blood, bright red blood in the toilet. I have no stomach pains or anything like that. I just have pain when I poop and then after that it goes away. What could this be?! Help me!!!!!!!!!!

July 14, 2013 at 11:38 am
(20) o says:

I am a 32 year old male and have been having blood in my poo on and off for 3 years now. Sometimes when I drink heavily so I stopped drinking now I still get it for seemingly no reason. I went to my doctor and he said ‘What do you want me to do about it?’ I said ‘ I don’t know but my wife bugged me to come here as it can’t be right to have this blood’ his reply was ‘well, wives are like that’ surely this is not good enough? I expected more from my doctor. Basically he wanted me to just go away.
To make it worse, when I was in the waiting room I was sat next to a poster saying ‘ blood in your poo for more than 3 weeks? Your doctor wants to know’
Taking the P or what!

July 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(21) Kendog says:

When to the bathroom today and no poo came out when I tried to go then I got up and wiped my ass just to be sure there was no mess and found very faint light red blood looked at my ass in the mirror and it had a very small amour of blood there but no more came out, lator after many glasses of water and some ice cream I went again
And this time no blood (that I could see) just the poo.
Am I gona be alright?

July 26, 2013 at 5:22 am
(22) ali says:

Hi, I’m Ali and I’m 24. For the past week I have a lot of blood in my stool, and I’m getting nervous. It varies from a light pinkish to deep red. The first time was a little more than 3 years ago when I was pregnant, and I dismissed it as an internal hemorrhoid. It only happened once and was a drop with a streak. My husband and I occasionally have anal sex, and I know a little blood will be there and may hurt for a day, but it’s been over a week and a half and not only is there a bowl full of blood, either I have a little stool that felt like the knife Michael Myers used in Halloween, or diarrhea. I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs of any sort. We didn’t do anything crazy when we had anal, and it’s never been like this the other times we’ve done it. We have no insurance so a doctor visit is not going to happen.

July 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm
(23) Morgan says:

Hello, I’m a 14 year old male and I’ve recently noticed that I’ve had bright red blood on the toilet paper when I’ve been wiping, I feel no pain or anything, can anyone help me with advice ?

August 10, 2013 at 1:36 am
(24) Sammy keovilayhong says:

Well hi guys I’m sammy.i just came back from a party and I was drinking about 3 Capri suns. Then I had to go home aand then I went straight to the bathroom. I saw blood of water instead of poop! I was so scared please help me!!

August 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm
(25) cody says:

I had a poo early and it come out with blood , and I’m really scared I just don’t know what to doo can someone help me this isn’t right because I’ve come out with differnt corled poo as well I’m 18 years old

August 27, 2013 at 7:10 pm
(26) Neil says:

Several weeks ago, I started to have very painful, BMs w/ a small amount of bright red blood on the TP. There was also painful itching. I went yo my MD immediately. The 1st thing done was a rectal exam by a general physician. It wasnt pleasant, but it wasnt painful, more uncomfortable. He suggested a Colonoscopy. Once you get the appointment, the MD will provide the steps to take in preparation.. IMO the prep is far worse than the Colonoscopy. For a day or so before the procedure you will need to begin a clear liquid only diet, along with using a prescribed med and laxatives to clean out your colon. Just sucks because thereís no solid food, you drink this pretty bad tasting drink that makes you poop just about all day. (cont’d)

August 27, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(27) Neil says:

(cont’d from) You do this this routine until you are literally, and I apologize for the candor, peeing out of your butt. The colon must be free of any solid waste or color to get a proper viewing. If you donít they will make you start all over again. The day of the appointment, you will need to have someone drive you to and from the appointment due to the sedatives. You will get to the office and they will have you undress and get into the backless hospital gown. They may give you an IV for a while because dehydration from all the pooping is common. They will ask you many health questions, then after 20mins or so take you in. The RN and MD know this is scary for many and are EXTREMELY kind and cautious of your comfort .They will administer a sedative and a painkiller. The process effects people in many ways. Most people remember very little. For my 1st Colonoscopy, I remember bits and pieces but its fuzzy and I felt absolutely nothing. (cont’d)

August 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm
(28) Neil says:

(Cont’d from) I am told it goes this way for most. This last one was different. I remember the whole thing. It was like being a little drunk or high, but I was intact mentally. I could feel the pressure of the procedure more this time. IT DID NOT HURT. I felt some pressure during the rectal exam, aka the MDs finger, and the insertion of the camera, but no pain. It took about 15-20 min afterwards, they have you lay in a private area for the Meds to wear off and pass gas. This is important as the doctor uses air to better view and they want you to release that gas. Then youíre done. The doctor will review the results and if you need a follow-up. No pain. I had an anal fissure and some small internal hemorrhoids. He gave me changes to make in my diet. .Its better safe than sorry. It is probably nothing but donít wait on that very rare possibility it is more serious. Please see a doctor ASAP and good luck!

October 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm
(29) windy says:

Hi iam 40 years old and have been going to the bathroom and i see blood in my poop it is red not dark and my anushurts and i have ddiarrhea what should i do i have not seen a doctor yet

October 14, 2013 at 3:41 am
(30) Binglee says:

HELP, i just took a dump and my bum kills like hell!! I have been having alot of blood also, my doctor said it was just a pimple but i am sure it isnt! I only eat a few veges and a few fruit, i have sastagen everyday because my dad says i need vitamins! HEEEELLPPPP PLEASEEEEE

November 8, 2013 at 6:07 am
(31) Anoj says:

hey!!! i’m 20 years old boy every time I poop it hurts coming out and then lately I notice blood, bright red blood in the toilet. I have no stomach pains or jst it pains in my ass. I just have pain when I poop and then after that it goes away. What could this be?! Help me!!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2013 at 7:21 am
(32) Kingsley c eleberi says:

Am 23 wen eva i pool i notice dat der is a droplet of red light blood nd dis lasted for about 1month i was afraid of goin 2 toilet,der was no pain no stomach bugin.i copmplain 2 my doc.nd he gave me some few tablet,i took it for one(1)week. Nd nah am free!!i pray dat God wll also heal urs,just av faith in God nd ask God for salvation he wll see u 2ru

November 29, 2013 at 8:10 am
(33) hayley says:

Hello Im 20 and last week I saw little blood in the toilet after going and after wiping. 1 day ago I stopped my period and today I went to the toilet for a number 2 and saw alot of blood in the toilet and it hurts a little going. Im pretty sure its not my period. What could it be?
Hayley

December 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm
(34) Nerine says:

Hi I’m a 19 year old female. I don’t know what wrong with me. For the past week I have had less energy than usual, my appetite is really small or I have none at all (which is rare because I love food), I’ve lost a lot of weight but its not noticeable (not sure how much I currently weigh as I don’t have a scale but I know I’m obese, I know I’ve lost a lot of weight due to the fact I can fit into a pair of jeans that were otherwise a size too small for me). What freaked me out last night was that I found blood in my stool, I thought it was just my period but when I wiped near my vag the only blood that came out was a dark and sticky type and there wasn’t a lot of it ( for the past two days my period has been like this, my period has now been unstable for the past 5 months to a year). I’m really worried but I feel to embarrassed to get checked or even tell my parents of how ill I’ve been feeling.

December 12, 2013 at 3:33 am
(35) Terry says:

I’m 17 and for the past couple days or so, maybe a week now, I’ve had blood in my poop. It’s never a lot and this has happened before in my life but never twice in a row. It doesn’t hurt or anything my body feels fine, I can usually tell pretty quickly when something is wrong with me like if I’m sick, or if I’m not getting enough of something wather it be water or sugar or whatever. The only thing thats a bit different is ive been really tired but i cant sleep, but that may just be because i’ve been a break. I have been loosing a good amount of weight pretty fast but that’s simply from cutting my calorie intake in half to about 1,200 calories a day. Anyways I got a blood test not long ago my doctor said I was very healthy and there wasn’t anything I should be worried about but that if I wanted to loose weight I would still be in good shape. So what I’m wondering is if this is serious enough that I need to talk to my doctor or if this could possibly be a result of my new diet and possibly a minor reaction to some medication I’ve been taking? I really have no idea what this could be. I’ve read other people’s stories online but none seem to relate to mine.

January 1, 2014 at 7:53 pm
(36) Mia says:

I’m a 14 year old girl, and when I went to the bathroom, I found a large amount of blood in my stools. I ate a crepe leftover from breakfast that was being stored in the fridge when my stomach started to hurt. I don’t want to worry my parents about it in case it is nothing. My period ended yesterday, so I know it’s not that.

February 22, 2014 at 10:29 am
(37) Darshu says:

Hi, I’m 18 years old female! Yesterday I found Blood instead of stool while potty and May be due to Psycological disorder of seeing blood while potting, today I couldn’t Potty. I have banned all the junk foods which I’m very fond of and I’m too much scared to do endyoscopy!
Please Help!

February 23, 2014 at 8:13 pm
(38) Dylan says:

I am 14 and i have discovered blood in my stool over the last 2 weeks. i told one of my freiends he has told me to tell someone. the colour of the blood is like a bright red. it sometimes is in the bowl of the toilet but mostly on the tissue paper :( i am very worried and would like if u could tell me as soon as possible :( thanks

March 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm
(39) commercial cleaning estimate template says:

This is a topic which is close to my heart…
Many thanks! Exactly where are your contact details though?