1. Health
Lisa Fayed

Childhood Cancer Patients and Medicinal Marijuana

By November 27, 2012

I read an interesting article in The Oregonian about a leukemia sufferer who often takes cannabis oil to help combat treatment side effects. It may not sound unusual as many cancer patients are prescribed medicinal marijuana to ease nausea and other side effects, but the patient I am referring to is a 7 year old child. I am fully aware of the benefits of medicinal marijuana for adults, but I had yet to contemplate the benefits/risks for children until I read about Mykayla Comstock, the child featured in The Oregonian. Honestly, I had never heard of a child taking medicinal marijuana until now.

According to the article, 7 year old Comstock takes cannabis oil in capsule form and also indulges in sweets like brownies that are prepared with "butter laced with marijuana". Her mother, a marijuana user who does not have cancer, claims it helps relieve side effects like loss of appetite and insomnia. Mykayla, who has a legal prescription for the drug, said in the article that it does help her to sleep and eat.

What do you think about a 7 year old taking medicinal marijuana? Would you allow your own child to use it? Leave your thoughts in the 'Comments' section below.

Comments
November 28, 2012 at 1:46 am
(1) Mother of 2 says:

If my child had cancer, and had to be on chemo for 3 years, and was approved to use natural medicine that worked to ease her pain, nausea and over all feel better I would absolutely! I would do anything to ease my baby’s suffering. Wouldn’t you? This child has not lost any weight and is able to eat. Every day I see multipal comer oaks about drugs that caused terrible side effects and death and are urging people to call and file a law suit…. ‘ Did you take an antidepressant while pregnate? Did your child suffer serious birth defects? Contact this number…. ‘ and so on. I comend this mother for the courage to share her dear child’s story and pave the way to the benifits of cannabis as a natural medicine. Drug companies have and will continue to put out propaganda. We need to stand up for natural medicine and the people who need it

November 28, 2012 at 1:49 am
(2) Mom of 2 says:

You never see a commercial about how cantinas killed a patient

November 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm
(3) Julie says:

If the child is taking it internally as a oil capsule or a brownie definitley yes. I would never advocate smoking it for a child but have seen first hand the calming effects of medical marijuana on a cancer patient going through chemo. My husband not only kept his weight up but also gained a little which shocked everyone at the cancer center he went to. He also drank alot of juice, and Sprite and water to stay hydrated. He would get up in the morning with nausea and smoke a little and within 20 minutes want breakfast.

November 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm
(4) Troy says:

We should go back to all natural medicine.

November 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm
(5) sylrayj says:

Sometimes, you just do what you must, and when it’s your child, you do more than you would for yourself. We use gripe water when they have dreadful gas, we use Orajel when teething, we would do almost anything as adults to help our children feel better. It’s easy enough for us to just say ‘suck it up’ when we’re hurting, but it is much less comfortable to do the same to our offspring.

Also, by all I’ve heard, cancer pain is well and beyond something like a toothache. I’ve heard of a few of the meds used, and they astound me. I would not deny relief to someone just because they could not adequately convey the depth of their suffering.

Finally, chronic pain is very draining. We can bear more when we know that it’ll stop in a week or two, but when we know there will probably not be an end to it ever, well, that’s very hard. I think people would have a better chance to heal, if they could give more of their energy to recovering and less to coping.

December 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(6) Maryanne says:

Indeed I would. The oil has no ‘high’ capabilities and enables your body to cause the cancer cells to die. In cancer, the cells do not die. Many cancer victims will die within 5 years. So it is really not contest to inprove life or heal vs possible side effects to our children. It is unfortunate that society is still so overwrought about the bad effects and results of smoking it recreationally that they reject the parts that can be beneficial.

December 4, 2012 at 5:39 am
(7) Dr. Suhas says:

I agree with Maryanne. The potential beneficial aspects are neglected due to the promiscuous use as narcotic drug.

December 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm
(8) Ann says:

YES. No child should suffer when it could be helped. The deserve to have some normalcy in their lives,like dinning with the family,cake and ice cream with friends. Everthing possible should be done for them or given to them for thier comfort. Cancer as you know is not a piece of cake!

December 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(9) Hudson says:

I guess I would do just about “anything” for my child and if it worked I would probably “do it ” !!

December 26, 2012 at 8:17 pm
(10) Jim says:

Hello,

If my child needed help with easing the recovery I definitely consider all alternatives’. I would definitely not let societies whims be an influence on my and my families medical decisions. I also believe that it would be beneficial.

Jim Clements – Stage 4 survivor for now!

December 27, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(11) Liz says:

This kid has LEUKEMIA, who cares what he takes if it HELPS him? OK, I know all about the “kids & drugs” message, but if it was my child, I would do whatever it took to make him feel better. As a person who has lost BOTH parents to cancer, brain & bladder, I saw what they went through & if I’d have known about the research done in the 70′s showing a direct link between curing cancer & marijuana, you bet I would have tried it to save my parents. All the chemo & radiation in the world, as well as invasive brain surgery, didn’t save my Dad. He died in 9 mos. from the time of diagnosis. I think most people are going to look at the age of this child, rather than the benefits he could get from using marijuana. It’s not like he’s got a bong in his hand. He has a TERMINAL illness & as a parent, it’s our responsibility to help our kids any way we can. Only a sadist would let this child suffer because of the stigma attached with a child using marijuana. Any way you cut it, the kid’s mother is going to be criticised. I asked both of my kids their opinion on this & they agree with me. With this kind of illness, let him use whatever there is to help him have quality of life, that’s the main thing. It’s bad enough this poor kid has a terminal illness at 7 yrs old, but people would rather debate the medicinal marijuana issue than see the benefits he’s getting.

December 31, 2012 at 10:18 am
(12) Michelle says:

I have stage 4 incur able lung cancer and on chemo, and I smoke marijuana. It works better than all the nausea meds I have. Even though I wouldn’t allow my child to smoke, I certainly would let her take the pill. Chemo is hard on me, I can’t imagine my child suffering through it. For the record, my lung cancer was not caused by smoking as I don’t smoke except for the occasional times after chemo.

December 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(13) Sheila Quinn says:

Yes. Not only would I allow him to use medical marijuana, but I would encourage him to use it if he was diagnosed with cancer. I perceive the general therapy for cancer to be not only damaging to the health- but ineffective. I would seek alternative ways in which to deal with the cancer -including the use of medical marijuana.

January 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(14) Meg Taylor says:

I would allow my child to use marijuana if it worked to alleviate the side effects of cancer treatment.