When you have cancer, it seems like just about everyone has advice about what to do. While this type of advice can be helpful, I always found it to be more helpful when someone advised me about something I should NOT do. Cancer can be a journey of ups and downs, but there are a few things that we should stop doing to have more highs than lows. 10 Things to Stop Doing If You Have Cancer
As I said, the advice about what to do is extremely helpful! Here are some things you should definitely do if you have cancer:
1. Ask questions! Here is a list of 10 questions you should ask your doctor when diagnosed.
2. Determine if you need a second opinion. Check out these tips for getting a second opinion.
3. Choose an oncologist, preferably one that specializes or has experience in treating your cancer. How to Find an Oncologist
4. If you don't have insurance, develop a financial plan. Paying for Cancer Treatment When You Are Uninsured
Now that you have solved the logistics of your treatment, it's time to focus on you and how you will cope with cancer.
1. Tell your friends and family about your cancer.This can be one of the toughest parts of treatment. Through revealing your battle, you will gain much needed support. Telling Your Friends and Family You Have Cancer
3. Know that depression can be common among cancer patients. Learn the symptoms and when to seek help.
4. Find your own way of emotional venting to prevent and relieve stress. Here are some ideas.